Create an account
3. Special lymphatic vessels called lacteals absorb dietary _____ that are not absorbed by the blood capillaries.
4. The ______ tonsils are the largest, and their tonsillectomy (surgical removal) used to be one of the most common surgical procedures performed in children.
6. _____ are the largest of the lymphatic vessels and they empty into the ________.
collecting ducts; subclavian veins
7. Immune surveillance is a process in which _______ nonspecifically detect and destroy foreign cells and diseased host cells.
natural killer (NK) cells
12. ______ are found especially in the mucous membrane, standing guard against parasites, and allergens.
13. _____ employ a "respiratory burst" to produce bactericidal chemicals such as hydrogen peroxide (H202) and hypochlorite (HC1O).
15. ______ are secreted by cells infected with viruses, alerting neighboring cells and protecting them from becoming infected.
20. Basophils of the blood help to get defensive leukocytes to the site quickly by releasing an anticoagulant called _____ and a vasodilator called _____.
23. Complement C3b protein coats bacteria and stimulates phagocytosis by _____ in a process called _____.
neutrophils and macrophanges; opsonization
25. One characteristic of the immune response is specificity. This means that
immunity is directed against a particular pathogen
30. T cells undergo positive selection in the thymus, which means
they multiply and form clones of identical T cells
32. The majority of T cells of the naïve lymphocyte pool wait for the encounter with foreign antigens in
the lymphatic tissues
34. Helper T (TH) cells recognize antigens when they are bound to a(n)
major histocompatibility complex (MHC) protein
38. Cytotoxic T (TC) cells are like a natural killer (NK) cell because they both
secrete granzymes and perform
40. Antibodies do not
differentiate into memory antibodies, which upon reexposure to the same pathogen would mount a quicker attack
41. This is the correct sequence of events in the humoral immune response.
antigen recognition -- antigen presentation -- clonal selection -- differentiation -- attack
48. Beta cell destruction that causes type 1 diabetes mellitus is a(n)
type IV (delayed) hypersensitivity
49. A person who is HIV-positive and has helper T (TH) cells count lower than ______ has AIDS.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together