Upgrade to remove ads
Multiculturalism and Human Relations
Terms in this set (30)
A field of study that focuses on how people of differing cultures communicate with each other.
(Fear and Insecurity) leads to justification for various types of discrimination that are thought to be of advantage to the dominant group.
Symbolizes affiliation with a more dominant group.
Outlet for projecting one's tension and frustrations onto other people.
A convenient group of person to blame when things go wrong.
Acting on the basis of prejudice.
A way of thinking and acting based on tradition or learned behavior.
And adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand.
The act of regarding one's culture as the "center of the universe"
Generally refers to groups of people with common ancestry and physical characteristics.
Mental position based on a person's knowledge, feelings, and experiences about someone or something influencing him/her to behave in a certain way in regard to that person or thing.
Refers to shared culture and background. Members of an ETHNIC GROUP usually have common ancestry and generally share language and other cultural patterns.
Basic to prejudice, it excites the emotions to the point of overshadowing rational judgment.
Feeling Of Superiority
Self-assured feeling on the part of certain individuals that they are superior to others.
As a member of the group, he believes he is entitled to exclusive or prior rights in certain areas.
Four Basic Feelings or Attitudes Harbored By Most Prejudiced Persons:
(1) Feeling of Superiority.
(2) Others are Strange and Different.
(3) Proprietary Claims
Examples Of Certain Common Needs That All People Share:
________ cannot work for some unless it works for all.
Functions Of Discrimination:
(1) Tends to reinforce prejudice concerning the groups alleged inferiority.
(2) Discrimination by any group limits the groups effectiveness.
(3) Affords an avenue to economic exploitation of the group being discriminated against.
Positive Consequences Of Sensitivity:
(1) Respect Of Community
(2) Respect From Fellow Professionals
(3) Support For Democratic Principles
(4) Self Respect
Negative or Adverse Consequences Of Insensitivity:
(1) Hurt Feelings
(3) Loss Of Personal And Professional Respect
(4) Ineffective Performances
Important Skills That Should Be Used When Dealing With The Feelings And Needs Of Others:
(1) Gather Knowledge And Information
(2) Be Non-Judgmental
(3) Tolerate Ambiguity In Messages, And Differences In General
(4) Show Warmth And Empathy
(5) Be Willing To Communicate
Forms And Targets Of Prejudice:
One goal of society and criminal justice is?
-The Reduction Of Crime
_______ is a fundamental requirement made of all Peace Officers.
Prejudice is a _______ ____.
The role of a Peace Officer include?
(1) Enforcing laws in an impartial manner
(2) Supporting the concept that all persons are equally subject to the law and will be treated equally
To apply the Principles of Impartiality, the Peace Officer should:
(1) Take necessary enforcement action, basing it's intensity and the severity of the offense
(2) Participate in the processes of justice such as charging and testifying.
(3) Communicate by word and action to the public and to the other criminal justice personnel that all people are equally subject to the law.
Impartial enforcement of the law requires that no person be _____ _______ or with _______ or ________.
When assuming impartial enforcement of the law the critical guideline is:
(1) Not favoring one more than another in the same situation.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Texas Civil Law & Process Review University of Hou…
Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code
Communication and Problem Solving
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
multiculturalism and human relations
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Standard Field Sobriety Testing(SFST)
TCC Police Academy, Week 1, Professional Policing/…
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Hearing Science Final
Series 79 Exam 4
Chapter 61 - Assessment of the Endocrine System
The writing and structure of the US constitution a…