Upgrade to remove ads
6.2 The Roman Empire
Terms in this set (34)
What factors contributed to the
fall of the Roman Republic?
~Economic turmoil= > Large landowners farmed with slaves, small farmers could not compete with them. Small farmers into cities and became poor & homeless (1/4 of Roman society)
~Caesar taking control =>Civil war over the power of Julius Caesar
Who were Tiberius and Gaius
- 2 Rome brothers who were tribunes
- wanted to give land to the poor and limit the size of wealthy estates
- both were assassinated
a war between people of the same country
in ancient Rome, a group of three leaders sharing control of the government.
Julius Caesar, Crassus, and Pompey
- Served as consul for a year
- Made dictator for life after conquering Gaul (now France)
- assassinated by the Senate because they were afraid of his power
- Roman general and part of 1st triumvirate
- Ceasars popularity concerned him and he Orderred Ceasar back to Rome but he did not listen
- went to war and Pompey was defeated in Egypt
Who killed Julius Ceasar & why?
- Marcus Brutus and Gaius Cassius, plotted his assassination. They stabbed him to death in the senate chamber.
- Afraid of his growing power
Who was assassinated on the Ides of March?
Which Roman ruler held the title of dictator or absolute ruler at the time of his
assassination by members of the Senate?
Ides of March
March 15, 44 BC the day Ceasar was murdered.
What happened after Caesar's death?
- Civil war broke out and several leaders fought for power.
- The Roman Republic ended.
How long did they rule?
Octavian, Marc Antony, Lepidus
Who did Octavius force to retire?
Story of Marc Antony & Cleopatra
- Ocatvian and Mark Antony became rivals. While
- Mark Antony meetst Queen Cleopatra of Egypt and falls in love
- Octavian accused Antony of plotting to rule Rome from Egypt
- Another civil war erupted
- Octavian defeated the combined forces of Antony and Cleopatra at the naval battle of Actium
- Antony and Cleopatra committed suicide.
- first emperor of Rome
- Took the name of Augustus
Title given the the Roman emperor Octavian which means "exalted one"
Which two generals fought in various
parts of the world. And which one was victorious in these conflicts and had himself appointed dictator.
- Marc Antony and Octavius
- Octavius (Augustus)
200 year period of peace in Rome starting with Octavius (Augustus)
Under whose rule did Rome entered a 200-year period of peace and great prosperity?
Augustus (formerly Octavius)
What was the period of peace and prosperity that lasted 207 years?
What were the main reasons for the Romans' success in controlling such a large empire which allowed it to operate even after Augustus' death?
- Augustus was a very capable ruler
- Augustus set up an efficient government with paid civil servants
Occupation of most Romans?
the Silver coin of the Roman Empire making trade easier
Name the 3 bad emperors?
Caligula - Mentally disturbed
Nero - Good administrator but murdered many and Persecuted Christians
Domitian - Ruled dictatorially, Feared treason, and
1) Why so important to Rome?
2) who were slaves?
3) how treated?
- important to the economy
- Most slaves were conquered peoples & children born to slaves OR bought & sold
- treated cruelly
- gladiators, field workers, house servants
powerful forces worshiped publicly and privately by Romans and represented in everything
guardian spirits of each family
king of the Roman gods
(like Zeus in Greek Mythology)
(Roman mythology) goddess of wisdom
(like Athena in Greek mythology)
wife of Jupiter
(like Hera in Greek Mythology)
What did the Romans do to distract and control the masses?
the government provided free
games, races, mock battles, and gladiator contests.
What new religion began in the time of Pax Romana?
In Rome, male head of the household
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Rome Foundations Study
Chapter 5 Honors History Exam
Q & A WH
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Section 2: The Roman Empire
Chapter 6: The Roman Empire Section 2 Guided Readi…
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Cost Accounting Chapter 1
HR Exam 1
SCMN 3150 Exam 1 Auburn