Med Surg Exam 2: TB
Terms in this set (16)
TB is caused by...
airborne (laugh, sneeze, singing)
primary cause of resistant strains of Tb
Inadequate treatment and improper use of anti-TB meds
do not become aware of disease until it is in advanced-stages - non-specific symptoms
- cough with sputum
- sleep disturbance
- night sweats
- current tb test and CXR
- chest sounds
- acid fast bacili smear and culture (BCG)
BCG vaccine in last 10 years..
might present a false positive TB skin test
active or latent test?
QuantiFERON-TB Gold blood test
Airborne precautions until....
3 consecutive negative sputum cultures
increased nutritional support:
- increase protein
- increase iron
- increase vitamin C
- avoid tyramine/histamine containing foods
- TB skin test (positive past, no future skin test)
- acid-fast Bacillus smear (weeks to results)
- sputum cultures (3 days in a row) (early in the morning)
TB Skin Testing
insert 0.1 mL of PPD (purified protein derivative)
intradermal, bevel up
feel the induration (do not go by looks)
- length varies according to specific risk factors)
L.U.N.G.S. (INH for TB)
-Use cautiously with renal dysfunction
-Give pyridoxine - prevent peripheral neuropathy
- Should take on an EMPTY stomach, screen vision
Redman Rifampin (6 D's)
- many drug-drug interactions, do not take alcohol, don't stop taking, dizziness (dont drive), bad to liver, dyscrasias, discontinue oral contraceptives
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Medical Surgical Nursing | Picmonic Nursing Guide
ATI Chapter 23 TB
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Adapting Nursing Care for Children (NCLEX)
Child Maltreatment: Neglect & Abuse (NCLEX)
Growth & Development Adolescents (NCLEX)
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Med Surg Chapter 35: Nursing care of patients with upper respiratory disorders
Med/Surg Exam 1
TEST chapter 31 IGGY with pneumonia