How did the Powhatan people and the English settlers interact?
• Captain John Smith initiated trading relationships with the Powhatans.
• The Powhatan people and the English settlers at Jamestown established trading relationships and for a while had positive interactions.
• The Powhatans traded food, furs, and leather with the English in exchange for tools, pots, guns, and other goods.
• Pocahontas, daughter of Chief Powhatan, believed the English and American Indians (First Americans) could live in harmony.
• Pocahontas began a friendship with the colonists that helped them survive.
• The Powhatans introduced new crops to the English, including corn and tobacco.