6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- the physical, visual link between the mad son and the cyclo boy in "Cyclo"
- said "I believe in imagination, but I more faith in reality, in people. Not interested in prearranged encounters, rather in the drama of things that happen to come together;" screenwriter of "Bicycle Thieves"
- emphasis on emotions rather than abstract ideas, documentary visual style, use of actual locations, refusal to make easy more judgments, nonprofessioinal actors
- the only group in "Bicycle Thieves" who are NOT considered to be villians
- Tran Anh Hung said that he wouldn't shoot "Cyclo" in France because there were too many _______________ and a old French man's face wasn't as interesting as an old Vietnamese man's face
- "What's important for me is to create ________, often, transitory, that are like icons with meaning." said by Tran Anh Hung about "Cyclo"
6 True/False questions
no plot → loose, meandering, episodic plot structure; gives film realistic, 'slice-of-life' feel; less dramatic than usual plot
pure cinema → cinematic style that feels as close to real-life as possible; NO fancy editing, NO complex dialogue, NO stylized production techniques, NO AUTEURSHIP by director
bold → bicycle driver who transports people from place to place
Tran Anh Hung → director of "Cyclo"
class differences, consumerism → the only group in "Bicycle Thieves" who are NOT considered to be villians
de-emphasizes → De Sica ___________ sexuality in "Bicycle Thieves" as symbolized by the removal of the bed sheets & ordinary clothes of the Communist dancer girls