6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- the only group in "Bicycle Thieves" who are NOT considered to be villians
- loose, meandering, episodic plot structure; gives film realistic, 'slice-of-life' feel; less dramatic than usual plot
- "What's important for me is to create ________, often, transitory, that are like icons with meaning." said by Tran Anh Hung about "Cyclo"
- the one trait that sets Italian Neorealism & the Italian Renaissance apart from French, Russian, and German realism
- the song that plays when The Sister loses her innocence/virginity; only English song in "Cyclo"
- no explanations for violence; paired radically unusual film styles; "Cyclo" was described as this
6 True/False questions
pure cinema → cinematic style that feels as close to real-life as possible; NO fancy editing, NO complex dialogue, NO stylized production techniques, NO AUTEURSHIP by director
neorealism → emphasis on emotions rather than abstract ideas, documentary visual style, use of actual locations, refusal to make easy more judgments, nonprofessioinal actors
de-emphasizes → "What's important for me is to create ________, often, transitory, that are like icons with meaning." said by Tran Anh Hung about "Cyclo"
class differences, consumerism → the only group in "Bicycle Thieves" who are NOT considered to be villians
vertical and horizontal lines → the three major Italian film directors of post-WWII period
Zavattine → images of paint and blood are used to symbolize ___________ of the soul in "Cyclo"