Upgrade to remove ads
French and Indian War and Colonies begin to Separate
Terms in this set (28)
What are the dates for the French and Indian War?
Why did England want control of North America?
-French held back English Expansion
(France came to America to make money) vs. (England came to America to settle)
Differences between France and England
-France(Catholic) there were few settlements and very scattered, they had more Indian allies and traded with them
- England(Protestant) they had many settlements and very concentrated along the East Coast, they remained allies with the Iroquois Indians
King William's War
-Louis de Frontenac led the French to victory
- English colonies had greater #'s
-Albany conference-English colonies and the colonies
What is the Board of Trade?
English Parliament established this group to manage policies between England and the Colonies
Queen Anne's War
-called war of Spanish Succession in Europe
-ended in Treaty of Utrecht-Britain received Newfoundland
King George's War
-called war of the Austrian Succession in Europe stalemate
Who was sent to force the French out of Ohio?
Washington-> he retreats to Ft. Necessity after defeat
-French: better Indian relations, and better trained fighters
-British: outnumbered the French, fought for their homes, more wealthy and had a better navy
Who made a system, as prime minister of Britain? What was it?
Replaced old moronic generals
Sent most of army to Colonies around the world
Send money to Frederick II (the Great) of Prussia in Europe ( he was helping in Europe fighting for England)
-General Braddock tries to build a road to the French fort
- he is killed and his army is defeated because of his stubbornly foolish European tactics (refused to accept Washington's advice)
Fort William Henry
-several British prisoners killed by Indians following their surrender
Quebec (KEY BRITISH VICTORY)
-British surreptitiously climbed the Plains of Abraham and surprised the French
-General Wolfe(Br) and the Marquis de Montcalm(Fr) are both killed
What treaty was a result of the French and Indian War?
Treaty of Paris-1763 which ends the war
- British receives all land east of the Mississippi River, Canada, and Spanish Florida
-Spain receives all land west of the Mississippi River
What results did the French and Indian War have on the Colonies?
-loss of respect for the British Army
-More united as colonies
-Growing sense for needing more independence
** For the acts it was not the amount of money taxed, it was that the colonists never had to pay the taxes before.
- forbade settlement beyond the Appalachians
Taxes on imported sugar
Taxes on written documents, 1st internal tax ( only coming to the colonies, not in England)
Forced quartering of troops during wartime (food and shelter)
How did the colonies respond?
-Stamp Act Congress: colonists met to protest new taxes and laws
- Boycott of all taxed goods
-Sons of Liberty: led by Samuel Adams and John Adams
Several methods for the British to collect taxes on glass, tin, and raw materials, they were repealed after the colonists boycott and protests
- John Hancock's ship Liberty was seized by British Customs officials
- Mob of Colonists burn British Custom's House
- British troops sent to patrol Boston's streets
- it was an accident with both sides at fault
-British troops fired into the crowd, killing 5
-British troops removed from Boston (for the time being)
- Townsend acts repealed
British customs ship burned by smugglers organized by Sons of Liberty
Boston Tea Party
- Tea Act- last remaining import tax
- a monopoly on tea given to the East India (tea) company
The tea was cheaper to the colonist
Orderly disposal of tea from ships by colonists dressed as Indians
Britain's reaction to the Boston Tea Party.
Coercive Acts- (aka. Intolerable Acts)
- Boston Port Bill- Boston harbor closed to trade
- cancellation of Massachusetts charter (permission to govern self)
- Quartering Acts: quartering of British troops during peacetime; British officers tried in another colony or Britain
Colonial response to Britain's reaction of the Tea Party
-first continental congress meets in 1774 in philly
- declaration of resolves: they pledged loyalty to Britain and asked King George III to resolve differences
You might also like...
American Republic, Ch5 : American Colonies in the…
apush terms ch 6-8
American colonies in the British Empire
Chapter 5 Cahpter Review
Other sets by this creator
Worldviews 3 Second Semester Final Questions (will…
Physics 2nd Semester Final-2018
Chapter 11: Vibrations and Waves-- Physi…
Chapter 16 & 17: Physics