5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- A researcher is asking questions of a serious nature, and a respondent gives only "socially
acceptable" answers. This is an example of ________.
A) interviewer bias
B) research fraud
C) research bias
D) poor sample selection
- As diversity in the workplace continues to increase, more than half of U.S. workers include which three groups?
A) older adults, minorities, and women
B) working class, homosexuals, and young adults
C) immigrants, the Amish, and older adults
D) minorities, immigrants, and women
- The concept of the "iron law" of oligarchy was developed by sociologist ________.
A) Robert Michels
B) Ryan Graham
C) Michael Burawoy
D) Irving Janis
- The term degradation ceremony was coined by sociologist ________.
A) Herbert Spencer
B) Harold Garfinkel
C) Talcott Parsons
D) Erving Goffman
- With respect to group dynamics, what is the defining characteristic of a small group?
A) It is composed of no more than three members.
B) The group is stable.
C) All members of the group are intimately involved with one another.
D) All members of the group can interact directly with one another.
- a Harold Garfinkel
- b minorities, immigrants, and women
- c Robert Michels
- d all members of the group can interact directly with one another
- e interviewer bias
5 Multiple choice questions
- participant observation
- secondary analysis
- voluntary associations
- to increase company profits and competitiveness
- this is an example of an open-ended question
5 True/False questions
When a researcher focuses on a single event, situation, or individual, the resulting research is known as ________.
A) an experiment
B) secondary analysis
D) a case study → a case study
The term white collar crime was coined by sociologist ________ to refer to crimes that people of respectable social status commit in the course of their occupation.
A) Robert Merton
B) Erving Goffman
C) Frank Tannenbaum
D) Edwin Sutherland → Edwin Sutherland
All of the following theories follow the principles of symbolic interactionism EXCEPT for which one?
A) strain theory
B) control theory
C) differential association theory
D) labeling theory → strain theory
When Anthony worked as a prison counselor he would often ask property offenders why they
committed the crime. The overwhelming response was, "I had to feed my family." How would Sykes and Matza classify this response?
A) denial of injury
B) condemnation of the condemners
C) denial of responsibility
D) appeal to higher loyalties → appeal to higher loyalties
Approximately when did the electronic community make its debut into society?
A) the 1980s
B) the 1990s
C) in the opening years of the 21st century D) the 1970s → the 1990s