Upgrade to remove ads
Honors Biology: Enzymes (Concept Map + More)
Terms in this set (25)
Enzymes are classified as . . .
Enzyme proteins act as . . .
biological catalysts in living organisms
- anything that speeds something up
3 important characteristic of enzymes are . . .
1. Specific (1000s of enzymes; specific to one function)
Enzymes require optimal . . .
Less optimal conditions for enzymes could result in . . .
Enzymes speed up chemical reactions by . . .
LOWERING the activation energy of the reaction
- energy required for reaction to occur
- the minimum quantity of energy that the reacting species must possess in order to undergo a specific reaction
Enzymes have a specific site called . . .
the active site
The active site is able to bond with . . .
Once substrates bound to active sites, the active site will . . .
change shape and pulls the substrates (reactants) together
As a result of substrates bounding in active sites . . .
the reaction occurs faster + more efficient
The model that shows the active site bounding to the substrates is called . . .
Induced model fit
The model is called an induced model fit because . . .
it changes shape when the enzyme binds which enables the reaction time to occur
Required level of structure for an enzyme
Globular tertiary structure
speeds up sucrose reactions
- able to bind with substrates of a chemical reaction
- additional group attached to enzymes
- enhances enzymes activity
- can be vitamins or organic elements
- substances that can stop enzymes from functioning by attaching themselves to the active site
- Competitive, noncompetitive, allosteric
- blocks the active sites
- competes for the active sites
- attaches to a site, but not an active site
- causes the reaction time to slow down
- completely damages the active site
- enzyme can't function afterwards
Lead affects . . .
- the brain cells (brain cells don't replicate)
- why an inhibitor
Denaturation for enzymes does what to the enzyme?
- Makes the enzyme lose its structure meaning no active site
- No active site means no chemical reaction
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Honors Biology: General Biochemistry (Concept Map)
Honors Biology: Carbohydrates (Concept M…
Honors Biology: Lipids (Concept Map)
Honors Biology: Proteins (Concept Map +…
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Biology - Enzymes
Quiz 3 (Chapter 3)
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
BUSMHR 2000: Quiz 1
AP ECON: Microeconomics Memorization Test
Honors Chemistry: Acids and Bases
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Pre-Lecture Video: Enzymes
BioChem Test 1 Test Bank
Biochemistry Test 2 (Old Tests)
2.17 proteins as enzymes