Upgrade to remove ads
Nepal Gorkha Earthquake April 2015
Terms in this set (23)
When did it happen?
25th April, 2015
What magnitude was the main earthquke?
What two plates does Nepal sit on?
Indo-Australian and Eurasian
What type of plate boundary does Nepal sit on?
Continental-collision (convergent or destructive) boundary
Where was the epicentre located?
The Gorkha district, 80km from Kathmandu
Social impacts of the earthquake
- 19 killed in an avalanche on Mt Everest
- 1 building remaining in Langtang
- 14 Hydropower dams affected limiting power supplies
- 23,000 injured
- 9000 dead in Nepal
What are two examples of the effects the earthquake had on the environment?
- part of the Himalayas have moved 1 metre
- an avalanche on Mt Everest killed 19 people
What was the death toll in Nepal?
State three primary (or direct) impacts of the earthquake on people?
- people killed and injured by falling debris
- people trapped in buildings
- homes destroyed
Name three secondary (or indirect) impacts of the earthquake on people?
- homelessness as a result of homes being destroyed or fear of afterschokcs
- people living on streets in close quarters > disease spreads quickly
- landslides block roads > can't be reached ansd given food/medical supplies > death
80% of Nepal's population are employed in this industry
$2311 per capita
Number of aftershocks
Deaths in other countries
India 100, China/Tiber 30, Bangladesh 4
Indian plate is pushing north at this rate
5cm / year
Depth of focus of the earthquake
When did the Indian and Eurasian plates first collide?
40-50 million years ago
What is the interval between earthquakes of magnitude 8 along this fault line?
What is the name of the organisation which helped to organise and coordinate rescue efforts and appeal for donations?
The United Nations (UN)
How many landslides were recorded in the 6 weeks following the earthquake?
What increased the risk from landslides?
The heavy monsoon rains
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
AQA A Level Geography - Haiti Earthquake Case Study
HAITI 2010 PLATE TECTONIC CASE STUDY A2 GEOGRAPHY…
Case study: Chile (2010) and Nepal (2015) Earthqua…
Phillippines Case Study
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Oil in Alaska
Glaciated Landscapes: the Grande Dixence…
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
GCSE - Natural Hazards - Japan Earthquake 2011
Boscastle Flood, 2004
CASE STUDY - Bihar Flood - River Kosi