Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Nursing & Evidence Based Practice
Terms in this set (18)
nursing research is the systematic investigation of phenomena related to improving patient care.
(a process of scientific inquiry conducted by nurses which defined by NIH)
seeking to understand and ease the symptoms of acute and chronic illness, to prevent or delay the onset of disease or disability or slow its progression, to find effective approaches to achieving and sustaining good health and to improve the clinical settings in which care is provided. it involves clinical care in variety of settings including the community and home in addition to more traditional health care sites.
research ideas come from
clinical practice, literature & theory
focused on how best to deal with patient problems that regularly arise in clinical situations and is related to improving patient care and patient outcomes.
research articles that are published often generate interest in further research. nursing knowledge is increased when the same phenomena is studied many ways.
research ideas are generated through nursing theory, created explanations of why a particular phenomenon occurs.
nursing research focuses on 2 ways
focused on issue that is already defined as a problem
focused on a new area of investigation
why nursing research necessary?
1. nursing knowledge is an ongoing process
2. all about improving patient outcomes
3. interventions used to be trial and error
4. interventions and changes in practice are based on best practice
relationships between research and theory
scientific inquiry - hypothesis, study, evaluate
all good research is grounded in theory
ideas come from clinical practice, literature, theory
can be focused on an already defined problem or new issue
roles of nurses in research
1. use research to improve your practice
2. BSN read, interpret, evaluate research, identify problems, share knowledge
3. MSM replicate previously conducted research, test new concepts
4. PhD nursing conduct and disseminate research, generate and test theory
5. ADN lack courses in research
numbers, statistical analysis, measures outcomes and variables
concepts, feelings, interviews, observations, themes
explore the human responses to health and illness "soft sicence"
Evidence Based Practice
using the best available research findings to make clinical decisions that are the most effective and beneficial for the patient
1. conceptual framework exists or can be constructed from research that has already been done
2. proposed research project is based on related research findings in published professional journals
3. proposed research is carefully designed so that results are applicable in similar situations
Pros and Cons for EBP
Pros- resolves problems, better patient outcomes, decreases variations in care, contributes to the science of nursing, keeps practice current and relevant
Cons- difficult to change practice, no time, lack of confidence, lack of value for research in practice, lack of administrative support
Strategies that help implement the use of research in the clinical setting
1. education on EBP through online, book, or etc.
2. conduct online journal clubs or face-to-face
3. share results through posters, newsletters, etc.
4. adopt a reflective and inquiring approach to practice by continuous asking
5. giving administrative support
6. give access to electrical resources
7. enhance job descriptions
8. offer incentives
9. provide oppurtunities
limitations of scientific method
1. not easily applied to qualitative research
2. nursing often cannot be studied in a lab
3. fails to consider the meaning of patient experience
sources of support for nursing research
extra time/ money
Sets found in the same folder
Community Health Hesi
Chapter 12: Communication, Negotiation, and Confli…
Sets with similar terms
Nursing Research and Evidence Based Care
NURSING 165 CHAPTER 10
Other sets by this creator
Intro to Epidemiology
Intro to CPH
Physiology (diabetes mellitus)
Physiology (Continue excretory system)
Other Quizlet sets
Psychology CH 1-2
Psych Module 1
AP Psych Prologue Vocabulary
General Psychology module 1