Upgrade to remove ads
1.By raising taxes in the early 1780's the confederation was able to reduce the national debt?
2.General Washington's personal appeal to his officers ended the Newberg Conspiracy?
3. Merchants Suffered more than farmers by the separation from great Brittain?
4. George Washington's typified the elites disapproval of Shays Rebellion?
5. The "critical period" refers to
America under the articles on confederation
6. In the final years of the revolutionary war _______ emerged as the most influential figure in the government?
7. Which of the following gave the federation most trouble?
8. The Newberg Conspiracy involved?
Military threat to large congressional powers
9. Under the articles of confederation Western Lands would be?
Owned by the national government
10. The 648 acres sections created in the Northwest?
Were likely to be bought by land speculators
11. The United States departed from the colonial policies of Great Britain by?
Promising equal statehood to all unsettled western territory
12. The Northwest Ordinance of 1787?
Banned slavery in the Northwest
13. Which of the following was not part of the Northwest Ordinance?
New States formed from the Northwest Territory had to allow Indian perpetual representation in the government
14. The plan presented by reverend Cather of the Ohio company was to settle the northwest with?
15. An important new development came in the mid 1780 when America opened trade with?
16. George Washington won 36 of 69 electoral votes?
17. Congress initially set the umber of supreme justice at 9?
18. The bill of rights consists of the first ten amendments of the constitution?
19. George Washington's first presidential veto was on Hamilton's bill for a national bank?
20. According to Alexander Hamilton the United States needed a national bank to provide a stable currency and provide a capital
21. Thomas Jefferson supporters were called republicans?
22. On the issue of the assumption of state debts James Madison agreed with Alexander Hamilton?
24. Conflicts with Britain and France in the 1790's created a spirit of national unity.
25. Most Americans Supported the French revolution even in its violent phase Known as the reign of terror?
26. By 1790 America had
Remained predominantly rural society
27. By 1790 the Indians
Remained a powerful threat to western Lands
28. In early 1789 a new congress gathered in the national capital which was?
New York City
30. Washington secretary of state was who?
29. In his inaugural address President Washington emphasized?
31. The first Supreme Court was picked by
Required b justices to serve on court as welld
32. The bill of rights did all of the following except?
Settled all questions of whether federal vs state authority
In regard to religion, the constitution?
Prevents congress from establishing an official religion
34. The tenth amendment of the constitution?
All powers not given specifically to the federal government were given to the states or the people
35. In regard to the state debts Hamilton proposed that?
The federal government take them over
36. The revolution of 1800 refers to the election of Thomas Jefferson?
37. Marbury vs. Madison was sparked by one of President Adams Midnight appointments?
38. Once in office Jefferson set out to dismantle Hamilton's federalist economic program?
39. During Jefferson's Presidency the national debt grew much larger?
40. From 1763 to 1803 the Louisiana belonged to France?
41. The expansion of the United States into the West weakened the federalist?
42. President Jefferson rewarded a supine?
43. Between 1800 and 1840 the nations most dramatic population expansion occurred in?
West of The Appalachian
44. In the early 19th century the fastest growing segment of the population was?
45. The nature of work was transformed for numerous Americans by?
The Factory system
46. Jefferson's inauguration was notable for?
First in Washington D.C.
47. Who said "We all republicans were all federalist?"
48. Jefferson inaugural address reflected?
A tone of simplicity and conciliation
49. In the case of Marbury vs. Madison Supreme Court?
John Marshall established Judicial Review
50. Thomas Jefferson showed his commitment to limited government by?
Cutting military spending
51. Thomas Jefferson believed that a large federal debt?
Created high tax and corruption
52. In the early 1800 the United States engaged in a Naval conflict with?
North African Pirates
53. The Louisiana Purchase was made possible by?
Napoleons disastrous setback in Haiti
54. The United States Experienced a period of economic prosperity in the years after the war of 1812?
55. The bank of the United States ended the panic of 1819 by making credit more easily available?
56.Support for the tariff of 1816 primarily came from the south?
57. The national road was a good example of an internal improvement because it was financed by the federal government?
58. James Monroe was the first president from New York?
59. The era of Good feelings was marked by peace and prosperity?
60. The second bank of the United States was chartered in 1826?
61. Langdon Cheives was president of the second bank of the United States?
62. As a territory Missouri had not allowed slavery?
63. Following of the War of 1812 President Madsion endorsed?
A national university
64. Thomas Jefferson Embargo in 1807 ironically?
65. Following the expiration of the first bank of the United states in 1811?
Issued an excess of paper money
66. The new bank of the United States created in1816 served?
As a depository for federal government
67. In 1816 when Congress adopted provisions for a new bank of the United States who protested?
68. Which of the following opposed a National bank in 1816?
69. Senator Thomas Hardenton
70. The tariff of 1816 was intended to do all of EXCEPT?
Lower the price of British goods
71. Jacksonians believed in equality of opportunity rather than equality of results?
72. Martin Van Buren was a native of North Carolina and served two terms as that states governor?
73. John C Calhoun Was born in South Carolina?
74. The tariff of 1828 was also known as the tariff of abomination?
75. In the midst of the nullification crisis John C Calhoun resigned as vice president?
76. Henry Clay was Andrew Jackson's second vice president?
77. President Jacksons response to the nullification crisis was to ask congress to raise the tariff?
78. All of the following characterized the United States by the time of Andrew Jackson's election except?
A dynamic economy absent of panic or depression
79. The Jacksonion concept of equality was a belief that?
Everyone should have an equal chance to succeed
80. Andrew Jackson's soldiers nicknamed him?
81. Andrew Jackson was a true Jeffersonian in his
Belief in limited government
82. The Peggy Eaton affair revealed?
The destructive gossip of the Washington social scene
83. As a result of the Peggy Eaton affair President Jackson?
Grew closer to Van Buren
84. Jacksons Veto of the Maysville road bill demonstrated that?
Belief that the federal government should not fund local projects
85. As late as 1860 three fourths of the people resided in the Appalachian?
86. Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin?
87. Before 1845 steamboats were used more for transportation in the ocean rather than internal waterways?
88. By the 1850's trains traveled an average of 40 miles an hour?
False 10 miles an hour
89. The United States caught up with Britain textile production by 1850?
90. One advantage New England had for manufacturing was a river system?
91. Church Attendants and temperants were enforced among early workers were at Lowell?
92. Theatre goers in the Antebellum period often hurled objects and insults at actors?
93. The greatest proportionate influx of immigrants in the 1820s was Irish?
94. The cotton Gin?
Made easier to separate fiber from seeds in cotto
95. The cotton gins invention meant that
less slaves were needed
96. All of the following encouraged migration to the west except
Construction of numerous forts
Upgrade to remove ads