How can we help?
You can also find more resources in our
Select a category
Something is confusing
Something is broken
I have a suggestion
What is your email?
What is 1 + 3?
Upgrade to remove ads
1) Pleomorphic bacteria
vary in size and shape.
2) Which of the following bacterial arrangements is the result of snapping division?
3) Which of the following is NOT associated with Corynebacterium?
4) What bacterial structure is responsible for separating the daughter DNA molecules after replication?
can be produced when nutrients are scarce.
6) Bergey's Manual contains
classification schemes for prokaryotes.
7) Which of the following characteristics does NOT distinguish the archaea from the bacteria?
8) The archaea known as halophiles
are members of the Euryarchaeota and require salt concentrations above 9%.
9) The largest known group of archaea is the
10) Which of the following types of microbes might be found in the Dead Sea?
11) Which of the following groups of bacteria lives in environments similar to those that may have existed on the early Earth?
deeply branching bacteria
12) Which of the following statements regarding cyanobacteria is FALSE?
They may have given rise to mitochondria.
13) Heterocysts are associated with
14) Low G + C Gram-positive bacteria are
in the phylum Firmicutes and include Clostridia and Mycoplasma
15) Which of the following diseases is NOT associated with clostridia?
16) Mycoplasmas are pleomorphic because they
have no cell walls
17) Which of the following bacterial genera produce(s) endospores?
both Bacillus and Clostridium
18) Which of the following bacterial genera includes species that protect areas of the body such as the intestinal tract and the vagina from invasion by pathogens?
19) Which of the following groups of bacteria is named for its resemblance to fungi?
20) Which of the following bacterial genera is used for the degradation of environmental pollutants?
21) Which of the following is NOT associated with bacteria in the genus Streptomyces?
protection of plants against caterpillars
22) Which of the following characteristics is the basis for distinguishing classes of proteobacteria?
ribosomal RNA sequences
23) Proteobacteria, which are facultative anaerobes commonly found in mammalian intestines, are members of the
24) Members of which of the following genera are the most common sexually transmitted bacteria in the United States?
25) Which of the following genera does NOT include intracellular parasites of other cells?
26) Unusual cellular extensions called prosthecae are associated with which of the following groups of proteobacteria?
27) Which of the following bacterial genera plays an important role in environmental nitrogen cycles?
Nitrobacter, Rhizobium, and Azospirillum
28) Microbes growing in boiling hot mineral springs are generally
29) Classification of bacteria into different phyla is based on comparisons involving which of the following?
both DNA and protein sequence
30) Bacteria that require hydrogen sulfide are generally members of the
green phototrophic bacteria.
31) Which of the following statements regarding pseudomonads is FALSE?
They are symbiotic with plants for nitrogen fixation
32) Which of the following bacterial genera is useful for sewage treatment?
33) A flexible, spiral-shaped bacterium is called a
34) The "giant" bacterium Epulopiscium reproduces by means of
35) Which of the following statements regarding mycoplasmas is FALSE?
They stain Gram-positive.
36) The anaerobic Clostridium species are troublesome pathogens largely because of their capacity for
37) Prokaryotes of the genus Pyrodictium are
38) The __________ include the genus Aquifex.
deeply branching bacteria
39) The bacterium Bacillus cereus is
an endospore former responsible for food poisoning from rice.
40) Listeria is responsible for
contaminated milk and meat.
41) One species of the genus Streptococcus is the leading cause of
"flesh-eating" bacterial infections.
42) The genus Mycobacterium includes species responsible for
43) The genus Helicobacter is responsible for
44) Members of the genus Chlamydia are
45) Pseudomonas species are occasional causes of
urinary tract infections.
1) The majority of archaea are extremophiles.
2) When an endospore germinates, it gives rise to two daughter cells called vegetative cells.
3) Members of the Streptomyces are environmentally important because they can degrade a wide range of compounds including lignin from trees, chitin and keratin from animals, and latex.
4) Halophiles grow equally well in the presence or absence of high salt concentrations.
5) Cyanobacteria contain chlorophyll a and carry out anoxygenic photosynthesis.
6) Cocci can be spherical as well as kidney-shaped.
7) Some strains of Staphylococcus aureus can invade the body and cause diseases such as pneumonia and bacteremia.
8) Mycoplasmas are named for the large quantities of mycolic acid in their cell walls.
9) Most of the methane produced by methanogens is oxidized by other types of bacteria before it affects the Earth's climate.
10) Myxobacteria exhibit traits, such as cooperation and differentiation, that are not normally observed in prokaryotes.
Upgrade to remove ads