Create an account
4) What bacterial structure is responsible for separating the daughter DNA molecules after replication?
7) Which of the following characteristics does NOT distinguish the archaea from the bacteria?
8) The archaea known as halophiles
are members of the Euryarchaeota and require salt concentrations above 9%.
11) Which of the following groups of bacteria lives in environments similar to those that may have existed on the early Earth?
deeply branching bacteria
12) Which of the following statements regarding cyanobacteria is FALSE?
They may have given rise to mitochondria.
14) Low G + C Gram-positive bacteria are
in the phylum Firmicutes and include Clostridia and Mycoplasma
18) Which of the following bacterial genera includes species that protect areas of the body such as the intestinal tract and the vagina from invasion by pathogens?
20) Which of the following bacterial genera is used for the degradation of environmental pollutants?
21) Which of the following is NOT associated with bacteria in the genus Streptomyces?
protection of plants against caterpillars
22) Which of the following characteristics is the basis for distinguishing classes of proteobacteria?
ribosomal RNA sequences
23) Proteobacteria, which are facultative anaerobes commonly found in mammalian intestines, are members of the
24) Members of which of the following genera are the most common sexually transmitted bacteria in the United States?
26) Unusual cellular extensions called prosthecae are associated with which of the following groups of proteobacteria?
27) Which of the following bacterial genera plays an important role in environmental nitrogen cycles?
Nitrobacter, Rhizobium, and Azospirillum
29) Classification of bacteria into different phyla is based on comparisons involving which of the following?
both DNA and protein sequence
30) Bacteria that require hydrogen sulfide are generally members of the
green phototrophic bacteria.
31) Which of the following statements regarding pseudomonads is FALSE?
They are symbiotic with plants for nitrogen fixation
36) The anaerobic Clostridium species are troublesome pathogens largely because of their capacity for
41) One species of the genus Streptococcus is the leading cause of
"flesh-eating" bacterial infections.
3) Members of the Streptomyces are environmentally important because they can degrade a wide range of compounds including lignin from trees, chitin and keratin from animals, and latex.
7) Some strains of Staphylococcus aureus can invade the body and cause diseases such as pneumonia and bacteremia.
9) Most of the methane produced by methanogens is oxidized by other types of bacteria before it affects the Earth's climate.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together