5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is a Sundiata?
- many African societies unaffected by either Christianity or Islam developed states without
- What was the nature of urbanization with the Mali empire?
- What Sudanic kingdom declined in 1076, making way for new political organizations in the region?
- What were some major differences between African civilizations and other post classical societies?
- a Ghana
- b Mail possessed "port cities" along the Niger River sich as Jenne and Timbuktu, which flourished both commerciallly and culturally
- c disparities between the technologies and ideologies of Europeans and Africans also created differences in the ways in which their societies developed
- d systems of writing
- e a leader whose exploits were the foundation of a great oral tradition; created unified state & basic rules for malinke society
5 Multiple choice questions
- Difficulties of soil, dought, no technology, farmers could barely provide food
- the yoruba were organized in a number of small city-states under the authority of regional kings
- title the king took
5 True/False questions
How was the institution of slavery viewed in Muslim society? → In theory, slavery was seen as a stage in the process of conversion of pagans to Islam.
What was the social and political function of the griots? → between Niger and Senegal rivers
what ruler is responsible for the creation of songhay empire? → Invasion by a Moroccan Muslim army equipped with firearms, following by internal revolts
The puritanical reform movements of the Almoravids and Almohadis arose among what groups of people in Africa? → The Berbers, native desert dwellers of North Africa
What was the impact of the Portuguese arrival on the trading patterns of the east African coast? → Despite great effort to shift the focus of trade into their hands, the Portuguese were never able to control trade on the northern Swahili coast.