5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Equal Pay Act of 1963
- National Environment Policy Act, 1969
- Administrative Procedure Act, 1946
- Medicare Act of 1965
- Presidential Succession Act of 1947
- a Technically known as the Social Security Act Amendments of 1965; created system of subsidized medical care for retirees, both for doctor visits and hospitalization, though not for prescription drugs (added under President Bush in 2004). Also created Medicaid, which provides medical care for the very poor.
- b Designated order of succession should a president die in office or resign; after Vice President, the order is: Speaker of the House; President Pro Tem of the Senate; Secretary of State; followed by all other cabinet secretaries in the order in which their departments were created.
- c Prohibits unequal pay for men and women for the same job.
- d Requires an Environmental Impact Statement be produced before a major government project is undertaken.
- e Established procedures for federal agencies to issue regulations (public notice, public comment period, public hearings).
5 Multiple choice questions
- Authorized the president to imprison (or deport) any alien from an enemy nation (one the United States was fighting), or any alien considered dangerous; made it a crime to publish "false, scandalous, and malicious writing" against the government or its officials. No aliens were actually deported, and only 10 people were convicted of sedition; they were all pardoned by Jefferson when he became president in 1801.
- This law is designed to protect critically imperiled species from extinction due to "the consequences of economic growth and development untempered by adequate concern and conservation."
- Aim was to increase number of blacks who were allowed to vote in southern states; enforcement was so weak that it was ineffective.
- Set up Civil Service Commission to fill government jobs based on merit rather than patronage.
- Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII is technical name of this legislation. Prohibits discrimination against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin in the sale, rental, leasing, financing and advertising of housing.
5 True/False questions
War Powers resolution, 1973 → Set up Civil Service Commission to fill government jobs based on merit rather than patronage.
Freedom of Information Act, 1966 → Provides a system for the public to obtain government records, as long as they do not invade individuals' privacy, reveal trade secrets, or endanger military security.
Civil Rights Act of 1871 → Outlawed discrimination in public accommodations (any business open to the public). Supreme Court upheld law under the Commerce Clause.
Social Security Act of 1935 → Allowed federal government to enforce voting rights in states which had a history of voting discrimination. Black registration rates increased dramatically in the years following passage.
Clean Air Act, 1970 → Established new standards for ambient air quality, set new limits on emissions from stationary and mobile sources to be enforced by both state and federal governments, and increased funds for air pollution research; soon discovered that the deadlines set were overly ambitious (especially those for auto emissions). Deadlines were extended and revised over the next 10 years.