Create an account
1. Chemical and structural bridges link groups or layers of like cells, uniting them in structure and function as a cohesive:
8. The type of epithelial cell found in the lining of the stomach, intestinal tract, and part of the respiratory tract is:
20. If its cells are striated and fused at the ends so that the cells contract as a unit, the tissue is:
23. Smooth muscles are:
All (isolated, spindle-shaped cells, found in the walls of hollow structures such as blood vessels and the stomach, involuntary and nonstriated)
26. Which of the following represents the correct hierarchy of organization in the human body?
Cells Tissues Organs Organ Systems
27. A cell in the pancreas is unaffected by which of the following features of muscle or bone tissue?
None of these, because all directly or indirectly affect any given cell in the pancreas
36. Maintaining the volume and composition of body fluids is the direct responsibility of which system?
41. When nutrients are supplied to a cell, the last fluid through which they must pass before encountering the plasma membrane is the:
44. The control of the temperature of the body is an example of which of the following?
Both a homeostatic mechanism and a negative feedback system
4. Which of the following systems is the only one to have direct interactions with the other three?
6. Which of the following is true of the pulmonary circuit?
The right ventricle pumps oxygen-poor blood
22. Type A blood will NOT agglutinate when mixed with:
Both A and AB, but will clump with types B and O
29. In its travel through the human body, blood usually continues on from capillaries to enter:
30. Which of the following statements is true?
The systemic circuit leaves the heart from the left ventricle
40. If a physician hears two "lub" sounds instead of one, which of these is true?
The atrioventricular valves are not closing at the same time
42. Which of the following statements is false?
A heart will stop beating when the nerves to the heart are severed
49. The interstitial fluid is:
All of these (a reservoir, the extracellular fluid, supplied by the blood, similar to sea water)
51. At the arteriole end of the capillary, more fluid leaves the capillary than enters as a result of:
Is the movement of components of the interstitial fluid into a capillary bed and occurs at the end of the capillary bed
53. By controlling their musculature, which of the following can vary the resistance to blood flow?
54. Because of their great elasticity, which of the following can function as blood volume reservoirs during times of low metabolic output?
Veins and venules
61. In atherosclerosis:
All of these (abnormal multiplication of smooth muscle cells in blood vessels occurs, the arterial walls fill with connective tissue, the lipids in the bloodstream become embedded in the walls of the endothelial lining, a fibrous net covers the entire abnormal area)
63. Cholesterol is believed to be carried by:
High-density lipoproteins and high-density lipoproteins
64. Hemostasis in vertebrates includes all of the following EXCEPT:
Release of iron to aid in the clumping of platelets
66. Which of the following is transported in greater quantities in the lmphatic system in the blood?
67. Which statement is NOT true of the lymph vascular system? The lymph vascular system:
Absorbs glucose from the small intestine and transports it to the brain
69. The system that reclaims fluids and proteins that have escaped from blood capillaries is the:
70. Areas where lymphocytes congregate as they cleanse the blood of foreign materials are called:
73. This blood component plays a role in the inflammatory response and shows anticlotting activity.
74. This blood component plays a role in maintaining the ionic balance of the body.
Sodium and potassium chloride
76. Blood from the superior and inferior vena cavas enters the heart via this structure.
81. Four of the five answers listed below designate organisms with open circulations. Select the exception.
82. Four of the five answers listed below are related by a common property. Select the exception.
84. Four of the five answers listed below are characteristics of most veins. Select the exception.
85. Three of the four answers listed below are related by a common function. Select the exception.
86. Four of the five answers listed below are related by a common feature. Select the exception.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together