Ch 6 Newton's Second Law of Motion (Force & Acceleration)
Terms in this set (26)
Objects Accelerate from...
- unbalanced forces acting on an object
- net force
Acceleration depends on...
- net force
- combination of forces acting on an object
Acceleration & Net Force are...
Acceleration & Mass are...
- Inversely proportional
An increase in mass will make acceleration...
- 2 values change in opposite directions
Acceleration produced by a net force is...
1) proportional to magnitude of the net force
2) same direction as the net force
3) inversely proportionL to the mass of object
A = F/m
Force of friction depends on...
- kinds of material in contact & how much the surfaces are pressed together
- liquids & gases
- occurs as an object pushes aside the fluid its moving through
- friction acting on something through air
If net force is 0, acceleration is....
- no acceleration
Friction force can _____ applied force
Increase in area of contact, pressure ...
- amount of force per unit of area
P = F/A
- newtons per square meter
- unit for pressure
Freely falling objects fall w/ the same acceleration b/c...
- net force on an object is only its weight
- ratio of weight to mass is same for all objects
Air resistance force on an object depends on...
- object's speed & area
Air resistance is ______ to speed & frontal area of an object
- directly proportional
- speed at which the acceleration of a falling object is zero b/c friction balances weight
- terminal speed w/ direction of motion
Large areas compared to weight reach terminal speed
Small areas relative to large weight ...
- fall faster to reach terminal speed
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
MCAT Physics | Kaplan Guide
Chapter 6 physics
Newton's Second Law of Motion - Force and Acceleration
Conceptual Physics Chapter 5 Vocabulary
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Pre Midterm Discussion Questions
MGMT 154 After Test # 2
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Ch 7 Newton's Third Law of Motion: Action & Reaction
Ch 9 Energy
Ch 8 Momentum
Physics Final -