Upgrade to remove ads
Book 6/7 Cont... 1
Terms in this set (10)
58. What is the released ones puzzle?
The puzzle is what does he do now that he is released? Stay where he is? Turn around? Go out of the cave? The more he moves away from the prisoners the more foreign he seems to the other prisoners
59. Why does Socrates speak of being dragged by force?
He is forced out of the cave because he thinks it's more comfortable to stay in the cave in his own known world.
60. Why would the ones who get to the point of knowing the form of the good not want to occupy themselves with human affairs?
Because it is too much hassle. After you reach an ideal existence, why would you want to go back down to the others who don't want to hear what youre saying and will go against them when you try to teach the others about it.
61. Why would someone ridicule a soul coming from ignorance?
Because we often make fun of people who don't know as much as we do. When someone is coming out of the darkness, he may be ridiculed by someone who knows less because he was happy that way and someone who knows more because he doesn't know much
62. How does Socrates describe education as a turning?
When you come out of the cave you physically turn toward the light. Learning about reality means a turning away from darkness and mere opinion and turning towards the light and the truth.
63. How does Socrates describe education at 519b?
He describes it as the soul being turned around so that it can see reality with the same precision that it could see the shadows with. It is a process.
64. Why are both the uneducated and educators unfit for governing?
In the republic, in the ideal city, everyone should only have one job. The educators are unfit because their one job is to teach the uneducated. The uneducated are unfit because they have no knowledge.
65. What must the best natures not be allowed to do?
Just stay out of the cave and be comfortable. They must go back into the cave.
66. Why is it not unjust to force the best natures to return to the prisoners?
Because when he goes back into the cave he is to try and teach the others about the truth and he will become the ruler because he knows the truth about reality. The city must be properly governed which the rulers will have to be forced to rule.
67. How are we bound to the lowest level of the cave and the line?
Because we are bound by the society and culture in which we live. Our minds are tied down.
You might also like...
2° ano - Phrasal Verbs 4th Term
Good Conversation Topics
Oxford Solutions int Unit 1E Phrasal Verbs
Other sets by this creator
Final Sports History
Test 2 Sports history
Other Quizlet sets
Glass and Soil Test
aphug college board unit 5 q/a