Create an account
Resistance refers to defenses we develop that prevent us from experiencing the present in full and real ways.
Recent trends in Gestalt practice include more emphasis on confrontation, more anonymity of the therapist, and increased reliance on techniques.
Dreams contain existential messages, and each piece of dream work lends to assimilation of disowned aspects of the self.
Gestalt therapy is well-suited for group counseling, especially when there is a here-and-now emphasis within the group.
A major function of the therapist is to make interpretations of clients' behavior so that they can begin to think of their patterns.
Whic of the following is NOT a key concept of Gestalt therapy?
Intellectual understanding of one's problems.
The basic goal of Gestalt therapy is to help clients:
Move from environmental support to self-support.
The impasse is the point in therapy in which clients:
1) Don't have external support available to them
2) Experience a sense of being "stuck"
3) Are challenged to get in contact with their frustrations and accept whatever is.
Gestalt therapy encourages clients to:
1) Experience feelings intensely
2) Stay in the there and now
3) Work through the impasse
4) Pay attention to their own verbal messages
The focus of Gestalt therapy is on:
Recognizing one's own projections and refusing to accept helplessness
The tendency to uncritically accept others' beliefs without assimilating or internalizing them is:
What is/are limitations of Gestalt therapy as it's applied to working with culturally diverse populations?
1) Clients who have been culturally conditioned to be emotionally reserved may not see the value in experientail techniques.
2) Clients may be "put off" by the emphasis on expressing feelings
3) Clients may be looking for specific advice on solving practical problems
4) Clients may believe showing one's vulnerability is being weak
* It works with client's awareness and teaches awareness skills.
* The Gestalt system of therapy is holistic and includes affective, sensory, cognitive, interpersonal, and behavioral components.
Gestalt Therapy's Key Concepts
* Goal - teach awareness and allow formulation of a gestlat.
* Process is the focus (vs. content) - "What's happening at this moment?"
Therapist's Goals in Gestalt
* Create experiments for client to assist their self-awareness of WHAT they are doing and HOW they are doing it.
* Our "power is in the present".
* Nothing exists except the "now". The past is gone and the future has not yet arrived.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together