How can we help?
You can also find more resources in our
Select a category
Something is confusing
Something is broken
I have a suggestion
What is your email?
What is 1 + 3?
Science - Chapter 5 - Advantages and Disadvantages of Asexual Reproduction
• Large numbers of offspring are reproduced very quickly from only one parent when conditions are favourable.
• Large colonies can form that can out-compete other organisms for nutrients and water.
• Large numbers of organisms mean that species may survive when conditions or the number of predators change.
• Energy is not required to find a mate.
• Offspring are genetic clones. A negative mutation can make asexually produced organisms susceptible to disease and can destroy large numbers of offspring.
• Some methods of asexual reproduction produce offspring that are close together and compete for food and space.
• Unfavourable conditions such as extreme temperatures can wipe out entire colonies.