5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Second Continental Congress
- national government under the articles of Confederation
- Shay's Rebellion
- Divide and Conquer
- a the legislative body of the colonies that acted as the uniting government. Before the revoltuon they formed a committee for foreign affairs, formed a Continental Army, write the Olive Branch Petition, and printed paper money
- b The government was weak under the Articles and only included a legislative branch
- c a body of individually governed states brought together under a national government
- d Britain's goal in the New England Colonies after Trenton became to cut off the New England colonies from the other colonies. Burgoyne would lead forces down from Canada and Howe would bring forces north from NYC
- e a rebellion of 2000 rebels from Massachusetts who raided a federal arsenal and the national government was unable to put them down. Led people to realize that a new Constitution was necessary and led to the Constitutional Convention.
5 Multiple choice questions
- untrained Americans hid in the woods and launched surprise attacks on the British as they progressed northward from Savannah and Charleston weakening the British army
- better leadership, foreign aid, knowledge of land, civilian help, motivation: "the cause"
- The British after the loss at Saratoga decided to head south to conquer the southern colonies. They were successful conquering Savannah and Charleston and then began to head north.
- First battles of the Revolution, where the "shot heard 'round the world" was heard.
- 1777; in Burgoyne's route south he was surprised by colonial militia hiding in trees. This was the turning point of the war and an American victory
5 True/False questions
Valley Forge → After losing battles in Philadelphia, Americans were forced to Valley Forge where they could keep an eye on the British in Philadelphia. The conditions were bad for the Americans as they were cold, shoeless, and blanketless. This is where Ben Franklin's daughter and Martha Washington came to help the Americans with supplies. Baron von Steuben came and trained the Americans to be more professional military fighters
legacy of war → high casualty rate, $27 million debt, republicanism, free enterprise
Northwest Ordinance → gave people the right in the northwestern lands to organize their own government and then ask to be admitted as a new state to the union; the most important achievement under the articles of Confederation
Treaty of Paris 1783 → high casualty rate, $27 million debt, republicanism, free enterprise
problems with first Constitution → First constitution of the United States; passed in 1777 by Congress and by all states in 1781