5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- guerilla warfare
- Reasons for colonial success
- Northwest Ordinance
- Valley Forge
- Battle of Yorktown
- a gave people the right in the northwestern lands to organize their own government and then ask to be admitted as a new state to the union; the most important achievement under the articles of Confederation
- b After losing battles in Philadelphia, Americans were forced to Valley Forge where they could keep an eye on the British in Philadelphia. The conditions were bad for the Americans as they were cold, shoeless, and blanketless. This is where Ben Franklin's daughter and Martha Washington came to help the Americans with supplies. Baron von Steuben came and trained the Americans to be more professional military fighters
- c After progressing northwards and being weakened by guerilla fighters, the British went to Yorktown on the Chesapeake Bay to regroup and wait for supplies. While there the French blockaded the bay and the Americans came down to block the British on the peninsula. The british were forced to surrender, and after this Battle the war lost popular support in Britain.
- d untrained Americans hid in the woods and launched surprise attacks on the British as they progressed northward from Savannah and Charleston weakening the British army
- e better leadership, foreign aid, knowledge of land, civilian help, motivation: "the cause"
5 Multiple choice questions
- First constitution of the United States; passed in 1777 by Congress and by all states in 1781
- the founders faced a problem writing the first constitution because the citizens feared a strong national government
- The British after the loss at Saratoga decided to head south to conquer the southern colonies. They were successful conquering Savannah and Charleston and then began to head north.
- Washington launched a surprise attack on the Hessians stationed across the Delaware. It occurred the day after Christmas and led to an American victory
- 1777; occurred after the Declaration of Independence was sent to England. King George III launched the largest naval attack in history up to 1942. It was a British victory and caused Washington to retreat to New Jersey
5 True/False questions
Shay's Rebellion → a rebellion of 2000 rebels from Massachusetts who raided a federal arsenal and the national government was unable to put them down. Led people to realize that a new Constitution was necessary and led to the Constitutional Convention.
legacy of war → high casualty rate, $27 million debt, republicanism, free enterprise
national government under the articles of Confederation → The government was weak under the Articles and only included a legislative branch
confederation → a body of individually governed states brought together under a national government
Lexington and Concord → First battles of the Revolution, where the "shot heard 'round the world" was heard.