5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Battle of Bunker Hill
- British Southern Strategy
- Second Continental Congress
- problems with first Constitution
- Common Sense
- a pamphlet written by Thomas Paine that explains that the colonies needed independence and should form a democratic republic
- b The British after the loss at Saratoga decided to head south to conquer the southern colonies. They were successful conquering Savannah and Charleston and then began to head north.
- c Second major battle of the revolutionary war. It was a British victory but an American moral victory because they were able to hold off the oncoming British soldiers for two charges before being defeated
- d the founders faced a problem writing the first constitution because the citizens feared a strong national government
- e the legislative body of the colonies that acted as the uniting government. Before the revoltuon they formed a committee for foreign affairs, formed a Continental Army, write the Olive Branch Petition, and printed paper money
5 Multiple choice questions
- a body of individually governed states brought together under a national government
- better leadership, foreign aid, knowledge of land, civilian help, motivation: "the cause"
- After the victory at Saratoga the French decided to ally with the Patriots
- The government was weak under the Articles and only included a legislative branch
- Washington launched a surprise attack on the Hessians stationed across the Delaware. It occurred the day after Christmas and led to an American victory
5 True/False questions
Shay's Rebellion → a rebellion of 2000 rebels from Massachusetts who raided a federal arsenal and the national government was unable to put them down. Led people to realize that a new Constitution was necessary and led to the Constitutional Convention.
Battle of Long Island → After progressing northwards and being weakened by guerilla fighters, the British went to Yorktown on the Chesapeake Bay to regroup and wait for supplies. While there the French blockaded the bay and the Americans came down to block the British on the peninsula. The british were forced to surrender, and after this Battle the war lost popular support in Britain.
Treaty of Paris 1783 → Officially recognized US independence, gave America all land south of Canda, North of Florida, and east of the Mississippi; other things were negotiated but never happened, including the repayment of debts, the returning of slaves, and the returning of stolen property to the loyalists
Valley Forge → high casualty rate, $27 million debt, republicanism, free enterprise
Lexington and Concord → First battles of the Revolution, where the "shot heard 'round the world" was heard.