5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Natalie approaching the board
- The parent was spanked as a child and their child also needs strong discipline.
- a A reinforcer that acquires its positive value through experience is a(n) ________ reinforcer.
- b Some bears kept in captivity allow veterinarians to routinely give them total body checkups. These bears open their mouths for teeth cleaning and present their paws for nail clipping. Your friend wonders how anyone could ever get these dangerous animals to be so cooperative without anesthesia. From your study of psychology, you quickly surmise that the bears have undergone an extensive ________ program.
- c As Natalie, who has extremely long nails, approaches the chalkboard, many of her classmates cover their ears. What represents the conditioned stimulus?
- d Which of the following is a primary reinforcer?
- e Which of the following is the response most parents give when asked why they physically punish their children?
5 Multiple choice questions
- Your sorority sister is a pre-law student. After reading about the importance of control over aversive events, she decides that pop quizzes can cause physical harm and should be banned as students have no control over when they will occur. Her position has some merit because
- Kevin used to cry, whine, throw temper tantrums, and eventually start screaming in the department store whenever he wanted a toy. His mother would resist initially but when he would start screaming she would give in. Eventually, Kevin started with the screaming to get his toy. Kevin is demonstrating
- Who used puzzle boxes to examine the power of consequences in determining voluntary behavior?
- What principles of learning do behavior modification programs rely on in order to help people change?
- Being able to predict the occurrence of one stimulus by the presence of another one is called
5 True/False questions
associative learning → Anticipating a scary event whenever eerie music is played in a movie is a function of
learned helplessness → If, through experience, you come to the conclusion that all things are beyond your control and therefore you should not even try, you are exhibiting
renewal → Which of the following is a primary reinforcer?
NOT: conditioned response → Pavlov's dog salivated each time food was presented. Salivation in this situation was the
generalization. → Mark's dog, Gus, sits whenever Mark says, "Sit." Mark now wants to teach Gus a new trick. He wants to teach him to bark every time he says, "Speak," but whenever Mark says, "Speak," Gus just sits. The dog's behavior is an example of