After this chapter you should be able to:
- describe human nutritional needs and the challenges of overcoming hunger and malnutrition.
- explain the development of modern industrial agriculture, the role played by inputs such as irrigation water, fertilizers, and pesticides, and the environmental consequences of modern farming methods.
- identify the benefits and costs of using genetically modified organisms in agriculture.
- describe alternatives to industrial farming methods.
- explain the environmental impacts of various approaches to raising and harvesting meat and fish.