Upgrade to remove ads
Human Resource Management Basics
Terms in this set (12)
Define Human resource
the process of managing employees in a workplace.
What is the strategic role of HR management?
involves managers developing proactive strategies in the management of the organisation's people.
What are the benefits of adopting a strategic role to HR management?
- The development of a highly qualified workforce that fosters skill development and employee recognition
- Introduction of systems and procedures that deal effectively with workplace conflict
- Employment of a workforce relevant to the organisational needs of the business from a long-term perspective
What is the relationship between HR and operations?
Operations: focuses on products of G/S. Liaises with HR to ensure the business has recruited staff with relevant skills to facilitate production. HR monitor employee performance and implement training and development.
What is the relationship between HR and marketing?
Production is guided by market research that identifies the needs and wants of customers, in turn reflecting staffing requirements to meet those needs.
What is the relationship between HR and finance?
Budgets allocate funds towards training and development, workplace education issues such as affirmative action and OHS.
What are Reasons for outsourcing the HR function?
1. Specialist HR staff will have a much better understanding of issues related to employment relations and can offer advice the business on the most appropriate HR strategies
2. Allows managers to focus on core business operations
3. Reduces the need for the business to employ staff e.g. permanent HR manager.
What are outsourcing issues?
1. Lack of understanding of business culture and existing workplace conflict issues
2. Key relationship between staff and managers must continue to be developed within the business itself, ensuring that the work on manager-staff relationships still has to be handled despite the outsourced business responsible for HR issues.
Contract of employment exists between every employee and employers and creates rights and responsibilities for both.
A contract of service exists where:
1. Employment is not ongoing and an agreed fee is paid to an independent contractor for the service provided by the contractor, usually for a fixed period.
2. Where an employee offers their services to an organisation on a regular basis and is subject to the lawful control of the employer.
Outline features of an employee.
Length of employment: Regular
Y:Negotiated wage agreement or award conditions
Workers compensation: Insurance and protection provided by employer
Tax: Employers responsible for PAYE tax deductions and compulsory superannuation entitlements
Leave entitlements: Subject to govt. legislation and inc. long service leave, maternity/ paternity leave
Outline features of a contractor.
Length of employment: Fixed term
Y: Fixed agreed rate
Workers compensation: Provide own coverage
Tax: Expected to arrange to pay all own taxes and superannuation
Leave entitlements: No legal entitlements for the organisation seeking the contractor's service.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Key Terms in Human Resource Management
Human Resource Management
Human Resource Management
human resource management
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Business Management AOS2
Growth of business
Business Management Unit 3 - Managing Employees
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
BIBLE LINEAGE - Genealogy of Jesus
BIBLE LINEAGE - Adam's Lineage
Mel's spanish food
MEL D spanish food