5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- William S. Burroughs
- James Ritty
- Alexander Graham Bell
- Henry Ford
- Holding Company
- a Invented the cash register in 1878.
- b developed the first telephone with commercial capacity.
- c Introduced the movable assembly line with his automobile plants in 1914. This process stressed the complete interchangablity of parts.
- d Invented the calculating and adding machine in 1891.
- e A central corperate body that would buy up the stock of various members of the Standard Oil trust and establish direct, formal ownership of the corperations in the trust.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Proposed by Henry George, for land it would replace all other texes, which would return the increment to the people. He thought this would distribute wealth more equally and eliminate poverty.
- One of the pioneers of electric lighting, he devised the arc lamp for street illumination.
- Led by Eugene Debs, he refused to handle Pullman cars and equiptment. Within a few days thousands of railroad workers and territories were on strike. Transportation from chicago to the Pacific Coast was paralyzed.
- Governor of Illinois who demonstrated sympathies for workers and their grievances. He refused to call out the militia to protect employers.
- Invented the incandescent lamp, or lightbulb.
5 True/False questions
Edwin Drake → One of Bissell's employees who in 1859, established the first oil well near Titusville, Pa. It produced 500 barrels a month.
Wilbur and Orville Wright → Two brothers from Ohio who owned a bicycle shop in which they began to construct a glider that could be propelled through the air by an internal-combustion engine. Four years after they began experimenting they tested a flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The airplane took off and travel 120ft for 12 seconds before hitting the ground again.
Isaac Singer → A minister in a small Massachusetts town who was driven from his pulpit becuase of the scandal connected to his active homosexuality. He moved to New York where he wrote novels such as: Ragged Dick, Tom and the Bootblack, Sink or Swin, and many more. All had same basic story line of a young boy who was given an opportunity to improve himself.
Henry George → Introduced the movable assembly line with his automobile plants in 1914. This process stressed the complete interchangablity of parts.
American Federation of Labor → Led by Eugene Debs, he refused to handle Pullman cars and equiptment. Within a few days thousands of railroad workers and territories were on strike. Transportation from chicago to the Pacific Coast was paralyzed.