5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Charles Brush
- Andrew Carnegie
- Isaac Singer
- William S. Burroughs
- Single Tax
- a One of the pioneers of electric lighting, he devised the arc lamp for street illumination.
- b Proposed by Henry George, for land it would replace all other texes, which would return the increment to the people. He thought this would distribute wealth more equally and eliminate poverty.
- c Patented a sewing machine in 1851 and created I. M. Singer and Company. One of the first modern manufacturing corperations.
- d A Scottish immigrant who had worked his way up from modest beginings and in 1873 opened his own steelworks in Pittsburgh. Soon he dominated the industry.
- e Invented the calculating and adding machine in 1891.
5 Multiple choice questions
- An italian inventor who took the first steps to develop the radio in the 1890s. His technology quickly found its way to the U.S.
- A central corperate body that would buy up the stock of various members of the Standard Oil trust and establish direct, formal ownership of the corperations in the trust.
- The taking over of all the different businesses on which a company relied for its primary function.
- The most celebrated corperate empire of the late nineteenth century was his Standard Oil. He launched a refining company in Cleveland and immediatly began trying to eliminate his competition. He bought out competing refineries. In 1870 he founded the Standard oil Company of Ohio.
- Pennsylvania business man who showed the petroleum could be burned in lamps and also yeild such products as parafin, naphtha, and lubricating oil. He began raising money for drilling.
5 True/False questions
Terence V. Powderly → 1866, laid a transatlantic telegraph cable to Europe.
Knights of Labor → A minister in a small Massachusetts town who was driven from his pulpit becuase of the scandal connected to his active homosexuality. He moved to New York where he wrote novels such as: Ragged Dick, Tom and the Bootblack, Sink or Swin, and many more. All had same basic story line of a young boy who was given an opportunity to improve himself.
Henry Ford → Introduced the movable assembly line with his automobile plants in 1914. This process stressed the complete interchangablity of parts.
J. Pierpont Morgan → An italian inventor who took the first steps to develop the radio in the 1890s. His technology quickly found its way to the U.S.
Lester Frank Ward → Introduced the movable assembly line with his automobile plants in 1914. This process stressed the complete interchangablity of parts.