5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Henry Ford
- Horizontal integration
- Limited Liability
- Horatio Alger
- Henry George
- a The combining of a number of firms engaged in the same enterprise into a single corperation.
- b Introduced the movable assembly line with his automobile plants in 1914. This process stressed the complete interchangablity of parts.
- c California writer and activist who published Progress and Poverty in 1879. It became one of the best-selling non-fiction works in American publishing history. He blamed social problems on the ability of a few wealthy monopolists growing wealthy by raising land values.
- d A minister in a small Massachusetts town who was driven from his pulpit becuase of the scandal connected to his active homosexuality. He moved to New York where he wrote novels such as: Ragged Dick, Tom and the Bootblack, Sink or Swin, and many more. All had same basic story line of a young boy who was given an opportunity to improve himself.
- e When someone invested, this meant that they risked only the amount of their own investments. They were not liable for any debts the corperation might acumulate beyond that point. This increase the popularity in investing.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Led by Eugene Debs, he refused to handle Pullman cars and equiptment. Within a few days thousands of railroad workers and territories were on strike. Transportation from chicago to the Pacific Coast was paralyzed.
- developed the first telephone with commercial capacity.
- A banker who, in 1901, bought Carnigie Steel for 450 million. He merged this steel company with his others and created a giant United States Steel Corperation. This controlled 2/3 of the country's steel production.
- Wrote a utopian novel Looking Backward, published in 1888, sold more than 1 million copies. His book was a description of a utopian society in the year 2000, based on nationalism.
- Led the Knights of Labor in 1870s, moved them into the open away from secracy. Made them enter a period of spectacular expansion.
5 True/False questions
Charles Lindbergh → 1920s, had a famous solo flight from New York to Paris and electrified the nation and the world.
Guglielmo Marconi → in Chicago in 1894, Pullman cut wages but refused to lower rents in the company town. So the workers went on strike.
Taylorism → Invented the cash register in 1878.
Gustevus Swift → Invented the cash register in 1878.
Wilbur and Orville Wright → Led by Eugene Debs, he refused to handle Pullman cars and equiptment. Within a few days thousands of railroad workers and territories were on strike. Transportation from chicago to the Pacific Coast was paralyzed.