5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Gustevus Swift
- Edward Bellamy
- Haymarket Bombing
- Pullman Strike
- Guglielmo Marconi
- a Wrote a utopian novel Looking Backward, published in 1888, sold more than 1 million copies. His book was a description of a utopian society in the year 2000, based on nationalism.
- b Developed a relatively small meatpacking company into a great national corperation.
- c in Chicago, a strike was taking place at McCormick Harvester Company, when the city police began harassing the strikers and trying to make them disperse in Haymarket Square, when someone threw a bomb that killed seven policemen and injured 67 others, and the policemen, firing into the crowd, killed 4 more people. Conservative Americans demanded retribution, 8 anarchists were tried and sentenced to death. One committed suicide, four were executed and two others had their sentences commuted to life in prison. The bombing represented a new fear of social chaos and radicalism, especially of anarchism.
- d An italian inventor who took the first steps to develop the radio in the 1890s. His technology quickly found its way to the U.S.
- e in Chicago in 1894, Pullman cut wages but refused to lower rents in the company town. So the workers went on strike.
5 Multiple choice questions
- One of Bissell's employees who in 1859, established the first oil well near Titusville, Pa. It produced 500 barrels a month.
- founded in the 1870s and led for many years by Daniel De Leon, an immigrant from the west indies. He attracted a modest following in the industrial cities, but his party never became a major one. In 1901 they eventually broke away and formed the American Socialist Party.
- Industrial employers recruited many immigrants under this contract until its repeal in 1885. It permitted them to pay for the passage of workers in advance and deduct the amount later from their wages.
- In 1881, representatives of a number of craft unions formed the Federation of Organized Trade and Labor Unions of the United States and Canada. Five years later they took the name of this. Samuel Gompers was the leader of this organization. They concentrated on wages, hours, and working conditions.
- A sociologist who wrote Dynamic Sociology in 1883. He argued that civilization was not governed by natural selection, but by human intellegence, which was capable of shaping society as it wished.
5 True/False questions
Thomas Edison → Invented the incandescent lamp, or lightbulb.
Horizontal integration → The taking over of all the different businesses on which a company relied for its primary function.
Henry George → California writer and activist who published Progress and Poverty in 1879. It became one of the best-selling non-fiction works in American publishing history. He blamed social problems on the ability of a few wealthy monopolists growing wealthy by raising land values.
Holding Company → A central corperate body that would buy up the stock of various members of the Standard Oil trust and establish direct, formal ownership of the corperations in the trust.
Molly Maguires → the name commonly applied to members of a secret militant labor organization that sometimes used violence. It originated in Ireland.