5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What did the Confederacy do to solve the problem of the draft?
- Abraham Lincoln
- Free soilers
- The Whigs
- What did the war definitely decide in the end?
- a adopted the Conscription Bills
- b - split on sectional lines and very dividd about the Compromise
- They cannot come up with a party platform in 1852 b/c their beliefs weren't unified
- tried to receive interest in the nationalist economic policies
- upset about the influx of Catholics
- c It decided that the federal government was supreme over the states and authority to act on all matters affecting the general welfare.
- d - from Illinois, self-made man who rose from frontier poverty to legal and political prominence
- embodied the Republican idea of equal opportunity
- e people who didn't want slavery to expand to new territories but were not an abolitionist party
5 Multiple choice questions
- They hate it and can't bear up with the constant opposition.
- - ratified in 1868, it provided citizenship to ex-slaves after the Civil War and constitutionally protected equal rights under the law for all citizens.
- Radical Republicans used it to enact a congressional Reconstruction policy in the former Confederate states
- - South Carolina will vote unanimously to secede
- six more southern states will secede
- In Feb. 1861, delegates from the Deep South established the Confederate States of America declaring themselves a separate nation
- It's fought to preserve the Union not abolish slavery.
- Lincoln exercised a pocket veto by refusing to sign the bill before Congress adjourned claiming that he didn't want to be committed to any single Reconstruction plan.
5 True/False questions
What is the result of the Election of 1860? → The lower South launched a movement for immediate secession from the Union
- The South believes that they are a political minority and can't protect itself anymore
How are the southern states readmitted into the Union? → - there are a number of race riots in the South
- they continue to deny blacks the right to vote
- they elected former Confederate leaders back into office
- southern states pass the Black Codes
What are the results of the Civil War? → - it won complete control of Massachusetts,
- took power in three more New England states
- showed signs of becoming the next major political party
Why did most free blacks oppose the American Colonization Society? → The devastation of the southern economy forced many women to play a more public and economic role, forming reform groups and organizations.
How did the decision of the Court in the Dred Scott case help the Republicans? → it helped the Republicans build support on claiming that slave power was dominating all branches of the federal government and attempting to use the Constitution to achieve it's own goals