Wordlist 2 (GSOM students only)
Terms in this set (145)
to change something slightly, especially to make it more correct, effective, or suitable
adjective plan or method is one that you can use if you do not want to use another one
suitable or good for living in
to spread the arms and legs out carelessly and untidily while sitting or lying down
attractive because of being unusual and especially old-fashioned
a young person who is developing into an adult
the act of sending out gas, heat, light, etc.
an unnecessary or wrong use of money, substances, time, energy, abilities, etc.
1) the ability to continue at a particular level for a period of time
2) the idea that goods and services should be produced in ways that do not use resources that cannot be replaced and that do not damage the environment
1) the protection of plants and animals, natural areas, and interesting and important structures and buildings, especially from the damaging effects of human activity
2) carefully using valuable natural substances that exist in limited amounts in order to make certain that they will be available for as long a time as possible
more expensive, exciting, etc. than necessary
1) Renewable forms of energy can be produced as quickly as they are used
2) If an official document is renewable, its use can be continued for an extra period of time
moving towards land from the sea, or on land rather than at sea
the fact of something becoming known or starting to exist
Congested roads and towns have too much traffic and movement is made difficult.
1) very loud and sudden, like an explosion
2) exploding or able to explode easily
the range of a subject covered by a book, programme, discussion, class, etc.
not level, equal, flat, or continuous
certain to happen and unable to be avoided or prevented
to go or move something forward, or to develop or improve something
working or operating quickly and effectively in an organized way
the amount of energy that a power station, etc. is able to produce
to cause something to exist
used to describe something that can be bought and sold
1) a supporting structure around which something can be built
2) a system of rules, ideas, or beliefs that is used to plan or decide something
a particular way in which something is done, is organized, or happens
a gas that causes the greenhouse effect, especially carbon dioxide
to experience difficulty and make a very great effort in order to do something
(used about houses, etc.) able to be bought or rented by people who do not earn a lot of money
having a privilege
away from or at a distance from the coast
difficult to explain or understand
the act of putting money, effort, time, etc. into something to make a profit or get an advantage, or the money, effort, time, etc. used to do this
a word or expression from a particular subject area that has become fashionable by being used a lot, especially on television and in the newspapers
1) having the ability, power, or qualities to be able to do something
2) able to do things effectively and skilfully, and to achieve results
to buy something
a set of ideas or a plan of what to do in particular situations that has been agreed to officially by a group of people, a business organization, a government, or a political party
confusion and lack of order, especially causing damage or trouble
something that encourages a person to do something
to ask an amount of money for something, especially a service or activity
to guess or calculate the cost, size, value, etc. of something
the total amount that can be contained or produced, or (especially of a person or organization) the ability to do a particular thing
1) to be much better than other similar things or people
2) to be very noticeable
a small amount of money that you have to pay to use a road, cross a bridge, etc.
products that people buy for their own use
intended to be thrown away after use
a sudden and great increase
to control or limit something that is not wanted
the planning of the way in which towns and cities are built in order to make them pleasant to live in
1) to have control over a place or person
2) to be the largest, most important, or most noticeable part of something
1) the effect that an action or decision will have on something else in the future
2) an occasion when you seem to suggest something without saying it directly
knowledge that something exists, or understanding of a situation or subject at the present time based on information or experience
a principle or idea
1) in the US and Canada, a unit of local government consisting of a town and the area surrounding it
2) a South African town where only black people lived during apartheid
used to emphasize how very great, important, or powerful a quality or feeling is; nothing except
the amount used or eaten
a line that bends continuously and has no straight parts
an economic system in which goods and services are made, sold, and shared and prices set by the balance of supply and demand
to improve the quality of something by adding something else
behaviour that follows the usual standards that are expected by a group or society
to change a place from being a poor area to a richer one, by people of a higher social class moving to live there
one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true
to make a strong decision
1) a planned group of especially political, business, or military activities that are intended to achieve a particular aim
2) a group of connected actions or movements that forms part of a war
to give the reasons for your opinion, idea, belief, etc.
a person who disagrees with something and speaks against it or tries to change it
to plan, organize, or arrange the parts of something
1) a group of people with a particular set of aims
2) an occasion when something develops, changes, or happens in a particular way or direction
happening in a way or at a time that you know about before it happens
to put two or more things into a straight line
1) having the qualities that you connect with trained and skilled people, such as effectiveness, skill, organization, and seriousness of manner
2) relating to work that needs special training or education
able to make you believe that something is true or right
to disagree with something or someone, often by speaking or fighting against it, him, or her
account (to sb) for sth
phrasal verb, verb
to explain the reason for something or the cause of something
a detailed study of a subject, especially in order to discover (new) information or reach a (new) understanding
the activity of examining a subject in detail in order to discover new information
not having enough knowledge, understanding, or information about something
a way of thinking about something, especially expressed in a publicly stated opinion
someone who supports a particular idea, group, or person
from a different and opposite way of looking at this
to control or influence something directly, or to decide what will happen
the degree to which something happens or is likely to happen
a feeling or opinion about something or someone, or a way of behaving that is caused by this
to persuade someone or make someone certain
to accept or start to use something new
the degree to which something is related or useful to what is happening or being talked about
to look at or consider a person or thing carefully and in detail in order to discover something about them
account for sth
phrasal verb, verb
to form the total of something
a general development or change in a situation or in the way that people are behaving
1) to defeat or succeed in controlling or dealing with something
2) to prevent someone from being able to act or think in the usual way
to give something, especially money, in order to provide or achieve something together with other people
very well known and important
to reach one's potential
to achieve the standard that you are capable of.
of or relating to two or more nations.
the day-to-day meteorological conditions, esp. temperature, cloudiness, and rainfall, affecting a specific place.
are any materials or substances that can be used as fuels, other than conventional fuels
capable of being traveled, crossed, or covered by walking.
a social space that is generally open and accessible to people.
so many different classes of neighborhoods that surrounds our area by less than a mile.
rules of social conduct and behavior
somewhat vague concept that is often better explained in more precise terms as income mix or housing tenure mix, which are in fact two measurable indicators that, when varied, may result in social mix
a writer or a book, article, etc. that is mentioned in a piece of writing, showing you where particular information was found
a complete or selective list of works compiled upon some common principle, as authorship, subject, place of publication, or printer
type of referencing, when a number appears in the text instead of the author and the date, and links to the full reference details in a footnote or a numbered reference list at the end of the text
type of referencing, when the name of the author and the date of publication appear in the in-text reference
In academic writing, we use agreed referencing (or citation) conventions to acknowledge the sources we have consulted in our reading and research
to constitute plagiarism
to be or be considered as plagiarism
the most important or central thought of a paragraph or larger section of text, which tells the reader what the text is about
the thought that supports the main point
a word that serves as a key, as to the meaning of another word, a sentence, passage, or the like
Sense of community
a concept in community psychology, social psychology, and community social work, as well as in several other research disciplines, such as urban sociology, which focuses on the experience of community rather than its structure, formation, setting, or other features.
to set out an argument
to stay in relation to smth
recent studies show...
to be ranked (sixth) in...
these perspectives cannot fully explain...
an uncommon approach to .... considers ...
this perspective acknowledges ...
the perspective analyzes...
... perspective argues that ...
approach focuses on
...views have emerged
numerous academic studies have used this framework to show...
academic research taking this perspective examines...
(advocates) frequently employ this framework...
(critics) have claimed that...
they have proposed...
evaluation of the main points
to give an overview
Particularly I'm looking at...
But really what we are concerned with today is...
So today we are going to focus this lecture on...
For the purposes of this lecture, I'm going to be concentrating on...
I'm not going to look at... as a whole...
I'm going to focus narrowly on...
Sorry, can I just interrupt you there?
If I could interrupt you for a second...
I just wanted to say something about...
Can I ask something?
Exactly, I think that's a really important point...
Well, I completely agree about...but...
Yes, of course we need to consider ..., but ...
to recap the main idea