5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Mikhail Gorbachev
- federal government structure
- democratic centralism
- proportional representation in Russia
- Dmitri Medvedev
- a Final Party Secretary for the Communist Party before the Russian Federation.
- b Government with regional and centralized components.
- c Russia's lower house, the Duma, is elected only on party lists, and parties can only get seats if they receive 7% or more of the national votes.
- d Current president of the Russian Federation
- e rule by a few for the good of the many
5 Multiple choice questions
- The communist political ideology that gave legitimacy to the rule of the Communist Party. It combined Marxism with Lenin's democratic centralism
- Party secretary following Stalin's demise. He started the process of de-Stalinization.
- the process of filling influential jobs in the state, society, or the economy with people approved and chosen by the Communist Party.
- A term coined by economist Goldman Sachs in 2001 for the fast-growing economies of Brazil, Russia, India and China. They held a summit in June, 2009.
- Speech given by Krushchev in which he unveils a letter written by Lenin critical of Stalin's policies, particularly the purges
5 True/False questions
perestroika → Regional assemblies started by Tsar Alexander II
general secretary → A powerful CPSU head
conflict in Chechnya → The largely Muslim population of this region in the Caucasus has been fighting for its independence
Confederation of Independent States → An organization that weakly unites the fifteen former republics of the Soviet Union.
boyars → Members of the Russian aristocracy