1. Health: spacing housing aart to prevent septic tank leakage, separate industrial from residential areas, etc.
2. Public Safety: flood plan zoning, road patterns for pedestrians
3. Circulation: systems of streets/parking facilities that allow an orderly, efficient and rapid flow of car/pedestrian traffic
4. Services & Facilities: determining location of parks, schools, hospitals, etc.; plans for pattern of land use that allows for public services (police/fire)
5. Fiscal health: relationship between the pattern of development and the fiscal situation fof the community
7. Environmental protection: restrictions of developing fragile areas, preservation of open space, control discharges into bodies of water
8. Redistributive goals: left leaning planner wish to distribute both wealth and political power downwards, view this as a goal of planning