Protecting Patients' Privacy: Part 3
- You have access to financial information relating to medical care: you can also share, send, transmit.
- To protect PHI: protect computer passwords; don't leave hard copies of charts unattended; confirm receipt of information; make sure computer screen's not visible; store records in proper place.
- Procedure when faxing or sending PHI:
1. Identify the person who is asking for PHI. Ask for their name, and the name, phone number and address of their workplace.
2. Make sure they have a legitimate need for the PHI. If they do, ask for the fax number or email address you need to send the PHI. Confirm information by repeating back to them.
3. After you fax or email the PHI, always call the recipient to make sure if they received it.