Terms in this set (30)
*Not revealing one's thoughts or feelings easily
*The reticent boy rarely spoke about his family.
*in a ridiculous manner
*Facing a farcical tangle tangle of travel delays, the commuters were trapped for seven hours as they tried to leave the city.
*marked by intense force or emotion
*the candidate vehemently opposed cutting back on education funding
*exceeding what is necessary
*Tracy had already won the campaign, so her constant flattery of others was superfluous
*Edgar Allan Poe's Gothic tales are filled with depravity
a defensive wall
Sentence- Well-trained police forces are a bulwark against the breakdown of society
something that marks the approach of something else
Sentence- The storm clouds on the horizon were a harbinger of doom
acting quickly without thought
Sentence- The impetuous teen had a long history of shoplifting
spoken or done without preparation
Sentence- The student's extemporaneous speech wowed his classmates and teacher alike.
persuade by flattering or gently teasing
Sentence- He tried to cajole his girlfriend into breaking her curfew
smelling very unpleasant
Antonym- aromatic/ perfumed
Sentence- The smell of Tom's fetid P.E uniform, which hasn't been washed in a month, was overwhelming.
carried out with minimum effort to satisfy the situation
Sentence- He gave a perfunctory nod to all of the dinner party guests at the table
designed to start fires or conflict
Sentence- The girl's incendiary lies required a response.
a noisy disturbance
- it took two referees and all of the coaches to end the fracas on the field.
a small flaw
- in marriage, spouses learn to tolerate each other's little foibles.
deserving of respect because of age or achievement.
- the venerable supreme court justice had made several key rulings in landmark cases throughout the years.
showing a lack of thought or intelligence
-from his vacuous expression, i could tell that he didn't know anything about the homework reading.
relating to the idea of all people deserving equal rights
Able to be touched or felt
a person falsely claming to have special talents or skills
*to drink heartily
* Ron eagerly quaffed his mug of butter beer while dining at the 3 broomsticks.
* secret or illegal
* A shocking act of collusion between political leaders and media owners was revealed in the testimony.
* to gradually decline or waste away
*A child's imagination will likely atrophy if too much time is spent watching T.V.
* That critics reviews are nothing but self-important drivel.
* able to endure hardship without showing pain or complaining
* the stoic soldier held his salute while his comrade was laid to rest.
* brave and adventurous
* The intrepid reporter eagerly accepted the assignment in the war-torn country.
* to be unwilling to accept an idea or request
* when the 12 year old asked for an Iphone, her parents balked at the idea.
* to thin as in suffering from hunger or illness.
* The gaunt faces of District 12 haunted Katniss' dreams.
* placing too much emphasis on minor or unimportant details.
* The persnickety teacher took points from my score because i used blue ink instead of black.
* to sharpen the point of something
* allow me to whet your appetite with a description of the chef's specials.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Test Preparation TOEIC, SAT, TOEFL
AP Lang vocab
First Two Terms WFTD
AP Lang Vocab For Midterm
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
5/3/17 Words on wednesday
Words on Wednesday 4/19
Quarter 4 - 3/29/17
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
100 Words Every High School Graduate Should Know
Vocab words 151-200
Word Voyage Quarter 4(test on 5/18)