Terms in this set (30)
*Not revealing one's thoughts or feelings easily
*The reticent boy rarely spoke about his family.
*in a ridiculous manner
*Facing a farcical tangle tangle of travel delays, the commuters were trapped for seven hours as they tried to leave the city.
*marked by intense force or emotion
*the candidate vehemently opposed cutting back on education funding
*exceeding what is necessary
*Tracy had already won the campaign, so her constant flattery of others was superfluous
*Edgar Allan Poe's Gothic tales are filled with depravity
a defensive wall
Sentence- Well-trained police forces are a bulwark against the breakdown of society
something that marks the approach of something else
Sentence- The storm clouds on the horizon were a harbinger of doom
acting quickly without thought
Sentence- The impetuous teen had a long history of shoplifting
spoken or done without preparation
Sentence- The student's extemporaneous speech wowed his classmates and teacher alike.
persuade by flattering or gently teasing
Sentence- He tried to cajole his girlfriend into breaking her curfew
smelling very unpleasant
Antonym- aromatic/ perfumed
Sentence- The smell of Tom's fetid P.E uniform, which hasn't been washed in a month, was overwhelming.
carried out with minimum effort to satisfy the situation
Sentence- He gave a perfunctory nod to all of the dinner party guests at the table
designed to start fires or conflict
Sentence- The girl's incendiary lies required a response.
a noisy disturbance
- it took two referees and all of the coaches to end the fracas on the field.
a small flaw
- in marriage, spouses learn to tolerate each other's little foibles.
deserving of respect because of age or achievement.
- the venerable supreme court justice had made several key rulings in landmark cases throughout the years.
showing a lack of thought or intelligence
-from his vacuous expression, i could tell that he didn't know anything about the homework reading.
relating to the idea of all people deserving equal rights
Able to be touched or felt
a person falsely claming to have special talents or skills
*to drink heartily
* Ron eagerly quaffed his mug of butter beer while dining at the 3 broomsticks.
* secret or illegal
* A shocking act of collusion between political leaders and media owners was revealed in the testimony.
* to gradually decline or waste away
*A child's imagination will likely atrophy if too much time is spent watching T.V.
* That critics reviews are nothing but self-important drivel.
* able to endure hardship without showing pain or complaining
* the stoic soldier held his salute while his comrade was laid to rest.
* brave and adventurous
* The intrepid reporter eagerly accepted the assignment in the war-torn country.
* to be unwilling to accept an idea or request
* when the 12 year old asked for an Iphone, her parents balked at the idea.
* to thin as in suffering from hunger or illness.
* The gaunt faces of District 12 haunted Katniss' dreams.
* placing too much emphasis on minor or unimportant details.
* The persnickety teacher took points from my score because i used blue ink instead of black.
* to sharpen the point of something
* allow me to whet your appetite with a description of the chef's specials.