5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Several times in the past two months, Petra has experienced a racing heart, intense fear that something horrible is about to happen, and in inability to breath. Petra most likely is suffers from:
- personality disorders
- Last year, Nikki was diagnosed with schizophrenia and one of her symptoms is related to inappropriate emotion. She sometimes lapses into a "zombielike" state of apparent apathy known as:
- Andrea experiences extreme anxiety when she approaches any lake. Her therapist suggests that her fear is the result of a traumatic childhood boating accident. The therapist's suggestion reflects a ___________ perspective.
- Spencer has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. His parents have a difficult time understanding him because his speech is fragmented and bizarre. He jumps from one idea to another, sometimes within sentences, creating a:
- a panic attacks.
- b flat affect.
- c "word salad."
- d psychological disorders characterized by inflexible and enduring behavior patterns that impair social functioning.
- e learning
5 Multiple choice questions
- dissociative disorder.
- psychological disorders characterized by emotional extremes. See major depressive disorder, mania, and bipolar disorder
- Axis III.
5 True/False questions
anxiety disorders → an anxiety disorder marked by unpredictable, minutes-long episodes of intense dread in which a person experiences terror and accompanying chest pain, choking, or other frightening sensations
Mimi works in a hospital psychiatric unit. She cares for a patient with schizophrenia who often stands motionless in a corner for several hours. This ___________ usually ends abruptly and the patient becomes quite agitated. → catatonia
Years after he barely survived a terrorist attack that killed his wife and two children, Mr. Puskari suffers recurring flashbacks and frequent nightmares of the event. They render him incapable of holding a steady job. Mr. Puskari is most clearly showing signs of: → ...
bulimia nervosa → an eating disorder in which a person (usually an adolescent female) maintains a starvation diet despite being significantly (15 percent or more) underweight.
Mrs. Higgins believes that aliens from another planet have removed her stomach and are watching to see how long it takes her to grow another. Mrs. Higgins is most likely suffering from: → biopsychosocial model.