Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
What are recall elections?
Terms in this set (3)
Define recall elections
1) A highly Democratic device, allowing registered voters to recall an elected state or local official from office once a signature petition and evidence of corrupt or incompetent behaviour have been presented
Examples of recall elections
1) 2003 Gray Davis, Democratic governor of California was recalled by 55% of electorate and replaced by Arnold Schwarzenegger
2) 2012 Republican governor of Wisconsin Scott Walker Survived a recall election brought about by Democrat ad union opposition to his policies.
3) There are no federal recall elections, rare in states too, only been three subnational recall elections in US history
Arguments in favour and against of recall elections
1) For- makes elected official more accountable and more responsive to the public's wishes
2) Against- recall may be politically motivated, aimed at removing a serving politician who was not defeated in a democratic contest at the previous election
Sets found in the same folder
Some comparative features of the UK electoral proc…
Requirements for a presidential candidate
Primaries and Caucuses
Other sets by this creator
Types of Pressure groups
Pressure Groups Key Terms
Comparisons with the UK executive
The Role of the federal bureaucracy
Other Quizlet sets
Exam #2 Review
Ethics/Major Environmental Regulations
Period 6 APWH Test Review
Overall, research suggests that children in childcare are:
Where are living cells located in the epidermis?
What does vitamin C do in the body?
. Are the variables in the graphs directly proportional or do they vary inversely? How can you tell?