5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Name and describe the five elevation zones of the Andes are.
- What is the world's largest tropical humid climate region?
- List the four regions of Mexico.
- How did the Caribbean come to be called the West Indies?
- What happened to Tenochtitlan when the Spaniards arrived?
- a *Tierra helada- above 16,000 feet (permanently covered with snow)
*Paramo- 10,000 to 16,000 feet (potatoes, grasslands and hardy shrubs, grazing)
*Tierra fria- 6,000 to 10,000 feet (potatoes, wheat, oats, barley, beans, corn, rye)
*tierra templada- 3,000 to 6,000 feet (coffee, corn, wheat, cotton, potatoes, sugar cane, tobacco)
*tierra cliente- sea level to 3,000 feet (bananas, cacao, rice, sugar cane)
- b 1. Greater Mexico City
2. Central Mexico
3. Gulf Lowlands and Southern Mexico
4. Northern Mexico
- c the Amazon River Basin
- d Christopher Columbus thought he had reached islands off the coast of Asia that Europeans called the Indies, and the name stuck.
- e The Spaniards destroyed it and built Mexico City on the ruins.
5 Multiple choice questions
- large slums that surround major cities (in Brazil)
- The city lies on a dry lake bed, so the soils underneath are soft and unstable.
- wide fertile grasslands in southern South America
- Spanish is spoken in Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. English is also an official language in Puerto Rico. French and Creole are official languages of Haiti. Creole is a blend of European, African, or Caribbean Indian languages. In Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles, many people speak Papamiento. This creole language combines elements of Spanish, Dutch, and Portugese.
5 True/False questions
What are the major challenges facing Mexico? → Roman Catholic
What did the Portugese establish as the key crop in what is now Brazil? → sugar cane
When did farming begin in South America? → more than 5,000 years ago
When did people first enter South America? → more than 5,000 years ago
What were the accomplishments of the Inca empire? → about 36 million people as of 2000