5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- On what legend did the Aztecs found the town Tenochtitlan?
- What is the driest region in South America?
- Name 3 factors that explain Mexico's climate.
- How large is Mexico City?
- When did the Spaniards, under Francisco Pizarro, conquer the Incas?
- a in the 1530s
- b Atacama desert of Northern Chile and Southern Peru
- c 1. Pacific subtropical high pressure cell
2. northeast tradewinds
- d Their god advised them to build where they saw an eagle eating a snake while perched on a cactus.
- e It is the second largest urban area in the world after Tokyo.
5 Multiple choice questions
- silver, gold, iron, lead, mercury
- sugar cane
- The Greater Antilles include the large islands of Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico. They also include the some 700 islands that make up the Bahamas. The Lesser Antilles include more than 20 small island countries and territories. The Greater and Lesser Antilles are the major island groups of the West Indies.
- Spanish is spoken in Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. English is also an official language in Puerto Rico. French and Creole are official languages of Haiti. Creole is a blend of European, African, or Caribbean Indian languages. In Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles, many people speak Papamiento. This creole language combines elements of Spanish, Dutch, and Portugese.
- 1. loss of the Amazon rainforest because of new farms and ranches
2. soil exhaustion threatens south America's future. Overgrazing and loss of soil nutrients is causing this problem.
3. Political issues also cause conflict. Many South American countries have been involved in border disputes often over areas with valuable resources.
4. Violence is a problem. Terrorism is present in many South American countries, particularly Colombia.
5 True/False questions
What are the key natural resources in South America? → rich mineral desposits, fertile soils, climates suitable for farming, rivers, rain forests, gold and silver, copper, iron ore, bauxite, and petroleum
How did the Caribbean come to be called the West Indies? → Many island leaders see tourism as the great hope for the future economic growth. Tourism takes land that could be used for farming and the jobs are mostly seasonal and have low pay, though. Tourism does bring needed jobs and reduces unemployment.
What is the major religion in Mexico? → 1. Greater Mexico City
2. Central Mexico
3. Gulf Lowlands and Southern Mexico
4. Northern Mexico
What kind of climate does the Patagonia have? → a semiarid and arid climate
What is Mexico's most valuable natural resource? → Many island leaders see tourism as the great hope for the future economic growth. Tourism takes land that could be used for farming and the jobs are mostly seasonal and have low pay, though. Tourism does bring needed jobs and reduces unemployment.