5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- List the four regions of Mexico.
- How did the Caribbean come to be called the West Indies?
- La nina
- Why is the land so unstable around Mexico City?
- a wide fertile grasslands in southern South America
- b 1. Greater Mexico City
2. Central Mexico
3. Gulf Lowlands and Southern Mexico
4. Northern Mexico
- c an ocean and weather pattern that causes the eastern Pacific Ocean to be colder than normal
- d Christopher Columbus thought he had reached islands off the coast of Asia that Europeans called the Indies, and the name stuck.
- e The city lies on a dry lake bed, so the soils underneath are soft and unstable.
5 Multiple choice questions
- desire for gold and silver
- Their god advised them to build where they saw an eagle eating a snake while perched on a cactus.
- sugar cane
- Mexico City has too few jobs so many people live in shacks without electricity and running water. Mexico City also suffers from terrible air pollution. Parts of southern Mexico have inadequate schools and poorly developed telephone communication and transportation.
- a narrow strip of land connecting two larger land areas
5 True/False questions
What were the accomplishments of the Inca empire? → about 36 million people as of 2000
ecotourism → a type of tourism that focuses on guided travel though natural areas and on outdoor activities
What were the main crops of Mexico's early people? → There aren't many and there is no major river system.
What is the driest region in South America? → more than 5,000 years ago
maquiladoras → special factories in Mexico owned mainly by American companies