5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What are some of the cultural and historical features of Mexico City?
- When did people first enter South America?
- What did the Portugese establish as the key crop in what is now Brazil?
- What is NAFTA?
- a more than 12,000 years ago
- b North American Free Trade Agreement that lowered tariffs between Canada, Mexico, and the US.
- c sugar cane
- d Modern skyscrapers tower over Aztec ruins and Spanish colonial buildings. Mexico City's square is where the center of Tenochtitlan one stood. They have old cathedrals and a palace. Chapultepec Park was once used by Aztec emperors.
- e special factories in Mexico owned mainly by American companies
5 Multiple choice questions
- An earthquake in 1985 damaged much of Mexico City. This informed people of the environmental issues. Efforts were launched to save the Metropolitan Cathedral and improve the city's air quality.
- an ocean and weather pattern that causes the eastern Pacific Ocean to be colder than normal
- Christopher Columbus thought he had reached islands off the coast of Asia that Europeans called the Indies, and the name stuck.
- about 36 million people as of 2000
- It is the second largest urban area in the world after Tokyo.
5 True/False questions
cacao → a type of tree from which we get cocoa beans
What was one result of the Mexican revolution → Many island leaders see tourism as the great hope for the future economic growth. Tourism takes land that could be used for farming and the jobs are mostly seasonal and have low pay, though. Tourism does bring needed jobs and reduces unemployment.
What are the major challenges facing Mexico? → Roman Catholic
indigenous → a narrow strip of land connecting two larger land areas
What were the accomplishments of the Inca empire? → *built paved roads and suspension bridges
*terraced fields braced by stone walls