Scheduled maintenance: Saturday, March 6 from 3–4 PM PST
Upgrade to remove ads
French Revolution - The Revolution Begins!
Terms in this set (17)
What are the Causes of the French Revolution?
What are the 3 Estates?
2. Rich Nobles
How much land did the 1st Estate own and what was their population in France? Taxes?
- Less than 1% population
- payed very little taxes
How much land did the 2nd Estate own and what was their population in France? Taxes?
- 2% population
- 20% of land
- Did not pay any taxes
What was the population of the 3rd Estate in France? Taxes?
- 97% of population
- Paid most of the taxes
What was the Old Regime?
What class and estate are the Bourgeoisies?
They are the middle class, 3rd Estate:
What is an Estates General? What did they have to do with the third estate?
- They are part of the French Government and represent each estate
- The third estate had more in numbers but would only get one vote on French Policy represented by the Estate General.
Who is Emmanual-Jospeh Sieyes?
- He was a clergyman (very rich)
- Stood up for 3rd Estate saying they should call themselves the National Assembly and pass laws and reforms
What was held in Versailles?
A meeting of the Estates General because of French financial crisis and to vote on taxing the 2nd estate.
What is the National Assembly?
It is what the 3rd Estate called themselves after they broke away from the Estate General and began establishing their own constitution.
What is the Tennis Court Oath?
When the 3rd Estate became the National Assembly, they vowed that they would continue to meet in a tennis court until they had established a new constitution for France.
Explain 'Storming the Bastille'; what happened?
- 3rd Estate searching for arms & gun powder
- Mobs of Parisians attack Bastille Prison/Armory
- 3rd Estate took control of the city's government
What was The Great Fear?
- Wave of violence in the countryside
- Peasants sacked noble castles
- Peasants destroyed records of feudal dues
What did the National Assembly decree on August 4?
- French nobleman's special privileges ENDED by the decree
- Feudalism completely destroyed
- Old Regime is DEAD
What did the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen state?
- Rights: 'Liberty, Property, Security, & Resistance to Oppression"
- Principles 'of Revolution: "Liberty, Equality, & Fraternity
What was the October march of women
- Women riot over high cost of bread
- Rumors that the Royalty was hoarding grain
- Mob takes royal family back to Paris Tuilerie Palace to live as prisoners
- Paris replaces Versailles as center of power
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
History: Chapter 12
The Boston Tea Party
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
AP:The French Revolution
7.1 - The French Revolution Begins
AP Euro I.D's Chapter 20
French Revolution Common Assessessment
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
AP European History 18th Century Life
AP EURO SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTION