5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Edward Taylor
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- Michael Wigglesworth
- Kate Chopin
- Edgar Allen Poe
- a "The Day of Doom" & "God's Controversy with New England".
- b "The Story of an Hour". Themes: repression of women in a male-dominated society Symbols: -springtime -patches of blue sky
- c "Huswifery". -extended metaphor of process of saving your own soul
- d "The Fall of the House of Usher". House= 1) buildings 2) minds 3) family doppelganger (incest [both spiritual and actual], house and its flaw, twin)
- e "The Yellow Wallpaper".
5 Multiple choice questions
- "On Plymouth Plantations".
- "The Sheriff's Children". *Themes: -racism -identity -moral and responsibility
- "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God".
- . -Juan Gines de Sepulveda= against Indians -Bartolome de Las Casas= pro Indian
- "This Is What It Means To Say Pheonix, Arizona". *Symbols/motifs: -fathers and sons -fire, ashes, rebirth -last image= salmon swimming upstream
5 True/False questions
Nathaniel Hawthorne → "A Model of Christian Charity" (City on a Hill).
??? → "Landscape and Desire: The European Imagination and the New World". -his idea of paradise -eroticism of nature and the land
Louise Erdrich → "Letter from Jerusalem: Forcing the End".
Columbus → "Landscape and Desire: The European Imagination and the New World". -his idea of paradise -eroticism of nature and the land
John Winthrop → "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God".