5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- John Winthrop
- Louise Erdrich
- Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain
- William Shakespeare
- Edgar Allen Poe
- a "The Fall of the House of Usher". House= 1) buildings 2) minds 3) family doppelganger (incest [both spiritual and actual], house and its flaw, twin)
- b "Cannibalism in the Cars".
- c "Dear John Wayne".
- d Othello.
- e "A Model of Christian Charity" (City on a Hill).
5 Multiple choice questions
- . -Juan Gines de Sepulveda= against Indians -Bartolome de Las Casas= pro Indian
- "The Yellow Wallpaper".
- "The Story of an Hour". Themes: repression of women in a male-dominated society Symbols: -springtime -patches of blue sky
- "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God".
- "Huswifery". -extended metaphor of process of saving your own soul
5 True/False questions
??? → "Song of the Sky Loom". -family/creation -seasonal renewal -weaving conceit (warp/weft)
Herman Melville → "Bartelby the Scrivener". Themes: -charity -work ethics -middle class boredom Motifs: -grayness -food Symbols: -dead letters -Alexandro Aranda's skeleton Quote: "I prefer not to."
Sherman Alexie → "Bartelby the Scrivener". Themes: -charity -work ethics -middle class boredom Motifs: -grayness -food Symbols: -dead letters -Alexandro Aranda's skeleton Quote: "I prefer not to."
Charles Chesnutt → "The Sheriff's Children". *Themes: -racism -identity -moral and responsibility
Anne Bradstreet → "Verses Upon the Burning of Our House, July 18th, 1666". -2 Houses: 1) burns, in this world 2) doesn't burn, eternal salvation/heaven one