5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Washington Irving
- Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain
- William Bradford
- Herman Melville
- Johnathan Edwards
- a "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God".
- b "On Plymouth Plantations".
- c "Bartelby the Scrivener". Themes: -charity -work ethics -middle class boredom Motifs: -grayness -food Symbols: -dead letters -Alexandro Aranda's skeleton Quote: "I prefer not to."
- d "Cannibalism in the Cars".
- e "The Devil and Tom Walker". -faust story (sells his soul to the devil)
5 Multiple choice questions
- "Song of the Sky Loom". -family/creation -seasonal renewal -weaving conceit (warp/weft)
- "The Day of Doom" & "God's Controversy with New England".
- "A Model of Christian Charity" (City on a Hill).
- "Landscape and Desire: The European Imagination and the New World". -his idea of paradise -eroticism of nature and the land
- "The Fall of the House of Usher". House= 1) buildings 2) minds 3) family doppelganger (incest [both spiritual and actual], house and its flaw, twin)
5 True/False questions
Charles Chesnutt → "The Story of an Hour". Themes: repression of women in a male-dominated society Symbols: -springtime -patches of blue sky
Sherman Alexie → "Bartelby the Scrivener". Themes: -charity -work ethics -middle class boredom Motifs: -grayness -food Symbols: -dead letters -Alexandro Aranda's skeleton Quote: "I prefer not to."
Louise Erdrich → "Dear John Wayne".
William Shakespeare → "On Plymouth Plantations".
Charlotte Perkins Gilman → "The Yellow Wallpaper".