5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Herman Melville
- Michael Wigglesworth
- William Bradford
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- Kate Chopin
- a "The Story of an Hour". Themes: repression of women in a male-dominated society Symbols: -springtime -patches of blue sky
- b "The Day of Doom" & "God's Controversy with New England".
- c "On Plymouth Plantations".
- d "The Yellow Wallpaper".
- e "Bartelby the Scrivener". Themes: -charity -work ethics -middle class boredom Motifs: -grayness -food Symbols: -dead letters -Alexandro Aranda's skeleton Quote: "I prefer not to."
5 Multiple choice questions
- "Landscape and Desire: The European Imagination and the New World". -his idea of paradise -eroticism of nature and the land
- "The Devil and Tom Walker". -faust story (sells his soul to the devil)
- "Huswifery". -extended metaphor of process of saving your own soul
- . -Juan Gines de Sepulveda= against Indians -Bartolome de Las Casas= pro Indian
- "The Sheriff's Children". *Themes: -racism -identity -moral and responsibility
5 True/False questions
William Shakespeare → "On Plymouth Plantations".
??? → "Song of the Sky Loom". -family/creation -seasonal renewal -weaving conceit (warp/weft)
Johnathan Edwards → "A Model of Christian Charity" (City on a Hill).
Nathaniel Hawthorne → "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God".
Louise Erdrich → "Dear John Wayne".