5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Edgar Allen Poe
- William Shakespeare
- John Winthrop
- Michael Wigglesworth
- Lawrence Wright
- a "The Fall of the House of Usher". House= 1) buildings 2) minds 3) family doppelganger (incest [both spiritual and actual], house and its flaw, twin)
- b "The Day of Doom" & "God's Controversy with New England".
- c "A Model of Christian Charity" (City on a Hill).
- d Othello.
- e "Letter from Jerusalem: Forcing the End".
5 Multiple choice questions
- "Bartelby the Scrivener". Themes: -charity -work ethics -middle class boredom Motifs: -grayness -food Symbols: -dead letters -Alexandro Aranda's skeleton Quote: "I prefer not to."
- "Landscape and Desire: The European Imagination and the New World". -his idea of paradise -eroticism of nature and the land
- "Cannibalism in the Cars".
- "Verses Upon the Burning of Our House, July 18th, 1666". -2 Houses: 1) burns, in this world 2) doesn't burn, eternal salvation/heaven one
- "The Story of an Hour". Themes: repression of women in a male-dominated society Symbols: -springtime -patches of blue sky
5 True/False questions
Louise Erdrich → "Dear John Wayne".
??? → "Song of the Sky Loom". -family/creation -seasonal renewal -weaving conceit (warp/weft)
Nathaniel Hawthorne → The Scarlet Letter. Motifs: -civilization vs. the wilderness -night vs. day Symbols: -scarlet letter -the meteor -Pearl -rosebush next to the prison door
William Bradford → "On Plymouth Plantations".
Sepulveda vs. De Las Casas → . -Juan Gines de Sepulveda= against Indians -Bartolome de Las Casas= pro Indian