Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (57)
1. readily or plainly seen, heard, perceived, etc.; obvious; evident
2. capable of being touched or felt; tangible
1. to crumple or crush into wrinkles
2. to ruffle; tousle
3. to become wrinkled or crumpled
4. a wrinkle or irregular fold; crease
1. distracted; deeply agitated
2. mentally deranged; crazed
1. Sufficiently to satisfy a requirement or meet a need
2. Barely satisfactorily or sufficiently
A violation of a law, command, or duty
filled with or expressing ____. (A mixed emotion of reverence, respect, dread, and wonder inspired by authority, genius, great beauty, sublimity, or might)
1. To signal or summon, as by nodding or waving.
2. To attract because of an inviting or enticing appearance
1. To punish, as by beating
2. To criticize severely; rebuke.
1. To displace from a settled condition; disrupt.
2. To make uneasy; disturb.
1. In a _________, irritated or annoyed manner. (showing sudden, impatient irritation)
Deep and painful regret for wrongdoing; compunction
Lacking distinctive qualities; having no individual character or form
1. An unshakable belief in something without need for proof or evidence
2. (from criminal law) A final judgment of guilty in a criminal case and the punishment that is imposed
1. Deeply earnest, serious, and sober.
2. Invoking the force of religion; sacred
3. Gloomy; somber.
1. To cover or to obscure
2. Covered with or as if with something, obscured from vision
1. Unaffected by disturbance; calm, peaceful, or tranquil; calm and unruffled.
2. Unclouded; fair
Acting in an _________, lenient manner. (lenient, compliant, easygoing, tolerant, permissive, not strict)
1. Postponement or cancellation of a punishment.
2. Temporary relief, as from danger or pain.
3. To postpone or cancel the punishment of.
4. To bring relief to.
1. To give up or abandon
2. To let go; release; surrender
To exceed the limits of; violate ; to encroach on someone or something; engage in trespassing
1. An inherent ability, as for learning; a talent.
2. Quickness in learning and understanding; intelligence.
3. The condition or quality of being suitable; appropriateness.
1. By a small amount at a time; in stages: articles acquired piecemeal.
2. In pieces; apart.
3. Accomplished or made in stages.
1. A gradual increase, especially in the volume or intensity of sound in a passage (of music)
2. A steady increase in intensity or force
1. Connection by blood, marriage, or adoption; family relationship.
2. Relationship by nature or character; affinity.
1. Marked by or requiring great pains; very careful and diligent
2. Extremely careful and diligent work or effort.
Habitual laziness; sloth.
Adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
1. Compassionate treatment, especially of those under one's power; clemency.
2. A disposition to be kind and forgiving
1. Immunity from an obligation or duty.
2. The state of being ________; immunity.
1. To deprive of fortitude, strength, or firmness of purpose.
2. To make nervous or upset.
3. Causing upset, confusion, and fear
1. The act of ________ or the condition of being prohibited.
2. A law, order, or decree that forbids something.
In a hurried or rushed manner
1. the act of requiring or demanding
2. a demand made
3. an authoritative or formal demand for something to be done, given, supplied, etc.
4. To ask, demand, or request
1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
2. To make hard, strong, or obdurate; strengthen
1. To be thrown off balance or fall back
2. To stagger, lurch, or sway, as from drunkenness
3. To feel dizzy
Easy to notice; obvious.
1. A turbulent, swift-flowing stream.
2. A heavy downpour; a deluge.
3. A rushing, violent, or abundant and unceasing stream of anything
1. Not fully worked out, not certain; provisional
2. Uncertain; hesitant.
1. No longer in use
2. Outmoded or old-fashioned in design, style, or construction
1. A means of transporting, esp. a vehicle, a bus, airplane, or automobile;
2. Something that serves as a means of transportation
Difficult to carry or manage because of size, shape, weight, or complexity
1. Mild, kind, yet earnest warning.
2. Advice, or caution
1. Having many curves, bends, or turns; winding: a sinuous path.
2. Characterized by a series of graceful curving motions
Agonizing physical or mental pain; torment.
To cause to feel or suffer _______.
1. Having no particular interest or concern; apathetic
2. Having no marked feeling for or against
3. Not mattering one way or the other
1. to quit or leave entirely; abandon; desert
2. to give up or renounce (a habit, way of life, etc.).
3. Neglected, left alone, forgotten
1. to make milder or less severe; relieve; ease; mitigate
2. to appease; satisfy; allay; relieve
3. to soothe, calm, or mollify: to assuage his fears
1. A sudden, involuntary contraction of a muscle or group of muscles.
2. A sudden burst of energy, activity, or emotion.
Extremely painful; causing intense suffering; unbearably distressing; torturing
1. Increased, as in size, volume, etc.; expanded; dilated
2. Swollen, by or as by internal pressure, out of normal size or shape; protuberant
1. To appeal to in supplication; beseech
2. To beg for urgently; entreat.
1. To irritate or provoke to a high degree; annoy extremely
2. Annoyance, irritation
Having or showing control of one's feelings, behavior, etc.; composed; poised.
1. Emitting light, especially emitting self-generated light.
2. Full of light; illuminated.
3. Easily comprehended; clear
4. Enlightened and intelligent; inspiring
1. Inspiring pity or compassion.
2. Causing, feeling, or expressing sorrow or regret.
1. Declining; weakening.
2. Languid; drooping.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
IRLA GQ Vocabulary
Final Exam - Vocabulary
"The Crucible" Vocabulary
Flocabulary: SAT Vocabulary: Unit 4: "Phobia"
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
NJ Drivers Manual Chapter 1
Driving Manual Study Guide
NJ Drivers Manual Chapter 4