Theology Unit 1 Test
Terms in this set (68)
St. Paul had an encounter with...
The Risen Jesus
Carholic teachings amd practices based partly on the teachings of St. paul
- Holy Orders
- Inspiration of Scriptures
- Holy Eaucharist
Major achievements of St. Paul
- Preached Christianity to the Roman Empire
- Known as "Apostle to the Gentiles"
- Wrote more than half of the New Testament
- He taught that people should live "in Christ" through faith and trust
Teachings of St. Paul
- "We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him"
- "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me"
- "I can do all things in him who strengthens me"
- "I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race; I have kept the faith"
- God's will to honor parents
- All human life at every stage is sacred
- We are all called to speak truthfully at all times
- God invites us to be pure in all things
The first 3 commandments focus on...
Loving God and respecting the sacredness of the Sabbath
The 2 great commandments given to us by Jesus
- "You shall love the Lord with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind"
- "You shall love your neighbor as yourself"
Blessed are the merciful, pure heart, persecuted, and poor in spirit
- Witness to the Transfiguration and Jesus walking on stormy seas
- Denied Christ
- Loved Jesus the most!
- Head of the Apostles who was a witness to the resurrection
- First pope/Jesus gives him the keys to the kingdom
Aleteia - Saints who's patronage came from the way they died
- St. Sebastian: shot with arrows, patron Saint of athletes and archers
- St. Lawrence: Deacon who proclaimed that the poor were true treasures of the church
- St. Agatha: Virgin and martyr who is included in the Roman Canon of the Mass.
How did Joan of Arc describe the church?
"About Jesus Christ and the church I simply know they're just one thing, and we shouldn't complicate the matter"
What does faith in Catholic Church depend on?
Our faith in Jesus Christ
Who is the light of the Church?
Jesus breathed his spirit into the church so that that church could become....
his body on earth
What is the Greek word for Church?
What does ekklésia mean?
"To call out of"
What does "ekklésia" refer to when used in the scriptures?
To live and act in a way that was different from others
Our response to God's gift, surrendering ourselves to God
Can the church easily fall into sin?
The formal structures of the church take the form of:
The Nicene Creed is a statement of the Church's beliefs issued at the first...
The Nicene Creed taught that Jesus is that same substance as God and thus...
What are the characteristics of the Church called?
Marks of the Church
What is the source of the Marks of the Church?
What does it mean to say that the Church is the first sacrament of Christ?
The Church is a symbol and instrument of God's presence on earth and Movement through time.
How is the Church Holy?
The Holy Spirit dwells in it
How was holiness understood in the Old Testament?
We draw near to God
How does Mother Teresa describe holiness in her own words?
Love into action
Have there ever been times when the Church has done unloving things?
The Church is chosen by Christ to be his...
Three evangelical councils
The greatest witness to and support for holiness within the Catholic Church come from...
What is Catholic theology in our understanding of the sacraments?
- to change people and make them more Holy
- Jesus is the author of the sacraments
What does the word "Catholic" mean?
What does apostolic mean?
Sent into the world
Why is the Church called apostolic?
It has been sent to the world by Christ
Each bishop can trace his ordination back to....
"Blood of the martyrs is the seed of the..."
Christian history is built on the...
sacrifices of early Church
The Holy Spirit brings...
Triumph from tribulation
"God does not require the martyrdom of the body; he requires only the martyrdom of..."
The heart and the will
Martyrs placed faith in God above...
Martyrs are a reminder that earthly life pales in comparison to the joys of...
"Where are you going?" (Emperor Nero)
Why were the early Christians persecuted?
- false accusations
- didn't worship the emperor
- refused to worship Roman Gods
Some of the early Christians denied...
Did the actions of those who denied their faith surprise Christ?
- Golden Calf
- Denial by Peter
- Doubting Thomas
- Entirety of Human History
The Church has tried to imitate Christ in this regard
- The Church forgives those who failed and cherishes those who did not
- The Church is for the unholy many, not the Holy few
- The Catholic Church is for saints and sinners
What does Acts 2:42-47 tell us about how the early Christians practiced their faith?
- Teaching the Apostles
- Breaking of the bread
- Praised God
____ recounts how the early Church grew under the guidance of the Holy Spirit
A cloud took Jesus up to Heaven
The election of Matthias
- 12th Apostle
- They had to be baptized by John the Baptist
- Had to be a witness of the Resurrection
Was cut to the heart "repent, be baptized, and pray for the power of the Holy Spirit"
First used in Antioch. Practiced charity, self control, loved their enemies
The Martyrdom of St. Stephen
First Christian martyr
Peter baptizing Cornelius
Message of Jesus is to all Jews
Council of Jerusalem
- First council of the Catholic Church
- Gentiles did not have to be circumcised before they became Christian
How did the early Christians live their lives?
- They did not withdraw from society
- They spread the gospel
- Passivists (did not fight)
Why did the early Church grow in numbers?
- They gave good example
- See how they love one another
- Diaspora: Jews were scattered around the world
- Christians took advantage of Pax Romana
Took place in homes, in catacombs, outside
Wednesday and Friday
Underground tunnels that served as burials, Churches, and shrines
- good shepherd
Elders and priests
Men should share their meals, not their wives. Spouses help each other get into heaven
Oldest document in Christian teaching. Means The Lord's Teaching. Discusses baptism, teaching of Apostles and prayer
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Unit 1 Theology- What is the church?
Sas 8th grade midterm religion review
Theology 2H Spring Final Study Guide
Blest are we
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Intro to law
Chapter 5: the Skeletal System
Faith in Action: Articles 18-21
Chapter 12: marriage and the law of contracts