Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Gordon's function health patterns: 11 patterns: subjective and objective
Terms in this set (12)
Gordon's function health patterns:
11 patterns: subjective and objective
11 health patterns interact to depict an individuals lifestyle. Using this framework, nurses combined assessment skills with subjective and objective data to construct patterns reflective of lifestyles
-Health Perception/Health Management
Health Perception-Health Management
• Looks at the person's past health and safety practices used to reach the current level of health with a focus on their perceived health (seat belt....)
o Do they get well patient exam? Vaccinations up to date?
o Follow medical advice when given it?
o Explores their attitudes and beliefs about the healthcare system
PT STATED "..."
• Nutritional intake--
o Food types; diet history
o Fluid types; fluid intake history
• Metabolic demand
o Height and weight
o Skin assessment for color, temperature, turgor, dryness, scariness, rashes, pruritus or edema
o CONCLUDE w/BMI
o Amount and characteristics
o Ability to evacuate bowels without pain or strain
o Need for supplements
o Amount and characteristics
o Ability to start a stream without strain or pain
• Skin for sweating function
• Movement capability
• Activity tolerance
• Self-care abilities
• Use of assistive devices
• Satisfaction with current level of activities
• Environment can cause barriers to activity
• Consider leisure and recreational activities. Which ones need energy expenditure?
• Perception of adequacy of sleep and relaxation (Underlying cause of sleep concern)
• Difficulty with falling to sleep?
• Difficulty staying asleep?
-assess senses first. OPEN ENDED QUESTIONS
Confirm by saying "thank you" "I heard you say"
• The person's ability to understand and follow instructions,
• retain information,
• make decisions,
• solve problems,
• use language appropriately
• The 5 senses are included here
• Pain perception and tolerance
• The capacity for independent function
Min-cog. X3 memory Up to 6x's. —then clock, subtract by7's.
• Encompasses the sense of everyone's personal identity, goals, emotional patterns, and feelings about the self.
• Self-image and self-worth—mastectomy..
• These stem from one's perceptions of personal appearance, competencies, and limitations, including the individual's self-perception and other's' perceptions.
• You must assess physical, verbal, and nonverbal cues (Gordons, 2011)
• Look for clues that indicate identity confusion, altered body image, disturbances in self-esteem and feeling of powerlessness.
• Anxiety, fear, and depression states can be identified and are responsive to nursing interventions.
• Consider the individuals developmental stage
(medical maladies affect this)
• The need for relationships with other people is universal. Look at family, work, community roles and relationships
o Family structure
o Tasks performed, social support systems decision-making
o Parenting or marital difficulties and family violence
• Work or student status
• Objective data is rarely available unless you make home visits
• Sexuality usually has a component of identity
• Level of satisfaction with sexual self-concept, sexual functioning, and reproduction
• Difficulties such as ineffective or inappropriate sexual performance, discharges, infections, venereal disease
• Assess the clients knowledge of sexual functioning and preventive health practices, such as breast and testicular self-examination, Papanicolaou smears, effective contraceptive use and avoidance of infection.
• The ability to effectively manage stress
• Depends on the amount of stress
• Depends on coping resources
• past experiences with stress
• Is not a single act but a process incorporating many behaviors.
• Do they know how to cope?
• Are they choosing to not cope?
• Values and beliefs that guide choices or decisions that are related to health.
o Blood products and their use
o Vaccinations and their use
o Faith healing
o Issues about care received from someone of a different gender
o Issues around nutrition
Sets found in the same folder
OSBN: Oregon Administrative Rules
The Therapeutic Relationship
110A exam 1
exam 1 week 3, % facts/etc
Sets with similar terms
Wellness Exam 1-Chapter 6 Powerpoint
NR 222 Exam 1
Human Development Gordons 11
NR 222 Exam 1
Other sets by this creator
HTN/Crisis and MEDS /Aneurysms/PAD
Acute Inflammatory diseases Cardiac
HF and cardiomyopathies
Other Quizlet sets
NURS 101 EXAM 1 - FHP
Functional Health Patterns
NFS 260: Theories of counseling; Monitoring/Evalua…
Gordon's Health Patterns