5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- ARTICLES of CONFEDERATION
- BATTLE of YORKTOWN
- Nathan Hale
- BATTLE of SARATOGA
- a FIRST AGREEMENT TO CREATE A NATIONAL GOVERNMENT FOR THE U.S.- gave authority to CONTINENTAL CONGRESS for what it was doing- inadequate agreement because it lacked authority to impose taxes & enforcement powers.
- b British GENERAL BURGOYNE'S forces DEFEATED at SARATOGA & he surrendered his whole army. Boosted U.S. spirits & U.S. VICTORY CONVINCED FRENCH TO SUPPORT U.S. French signed treaty with us & agreed to provide military aid- SPAIN & NETHERLANDS DID ALSO.
- c U.S. officer caught by British spying- CONDEMNED to DEATH- he said, " I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
- d The supreme, absolute, & uncontrollable power by which an independent state is governed & from which all specific political powers are derived. The INTENTIONAL INDEPENDENCE OF A STATE, combined with the right & power of regulating its internal affairs without foreign interference. The power of a state to do everything necessary to GOVERN ITSELF such as making, executing & applying laws, imposing & collecting taxes, making war & peace & forming treaties or engaging in commerce with foreign nations.
- e U.S. DEFEATED BRITISH GENERAL CORNWALLIS at YORKTOWN. British SURRENDERED to END WAR.
5 Multiple choice questions
- British General HOWE led 34,000 troops & 10,000 sailors VS. WASHINGTON'S 20,000 poorly trained troops & no navy. Colonists lost & retreated to Manhattan.
- POLISH ENGINEER who HELPED U.S. BUILD FORTS & OTHER DEFENSES.
- lowest point for U.S.- WASHINGTON'S troops suffered through harsh winter with few supplies
- PRUSSIAN SOLDIER who came to U.S. & trained troops
- U.S. SURPRISE ATTACK on TRENTON- started with a Christmas night crossing of the DELAWARE RIVER (famous painting of this) surprised Hessians guarding Trenton & took most prisoner. WASHINGTON fooled Brits by fake campfires while U.S. troops snuck out to attack Princeton. VICTORY gave U.S. hope.
5 True/False questions
John Burgoyne → COLONIAL FIGHTERS that could be READY IN A MINUTE to defend Massachusetts.
Marquis da Lafayette → FRENCH NOBLEMAN who brought trained soldiers to U.S.- became trusted friend of Washington
CONFEDERATION → A UNION OF STATES in which each member state retains some independent control over internal & external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state. A federation, in contrast, is a union of states in which external affairs are controlled by a unified, central government.
CAVALRY → to JOIN, or enlist someone, in an ASSOCIATION with OTHER STATES, ORGANIZATIONS, or PEOPLE FOR A COMMON PURPOSE.
2nd CONTINENTAL CONGRESS-1775 → PHILADELPHIA MAY 1775- Attendees= John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, George Washington, Patrick Henry & others. Issued OLIVE BRANCH PETITION. Authorized & approved the DECLARATION of INDEPENDENCE.