5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- John Hancock (1737-1793)
- British Advantage
- a The supreme, absolute, & uncontrollable power by which an independent state is governed & from which all specific political powers are derived. The INTENTIONAL INDEPENDENCE OF A STATE, combined with the right & power of regulating its internal affairs without foreign interference. The power of a state to do everything necessary to GOVERN ITSELF such as making, executing & applying laws, imposing & collecting taxes, making war & peace & forming treaties or engaging in commerce with foreign nations.
- b name for colonial soldiers in NEW CONTINENTAL ARMY
- c 1737-1793. Patriot leader along with Samuel Adams of the SONS of LIBERTY. President of the second Continental Congress; first person to sign the Declaration of Independence.
- d A UNION OF STATES in which each member state retains some independent control over internal & external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state. A federation, in contrast, is a union of states in which external affairs are controlled by a unified, central government.
- e 1) British soldiers experienced, professional soldiers 2) best trained, most experienced officers & newest weapons. 3)British hired MERCENARIES from other countries. 4) HESSIANS=mercenaries from the Hesse region of Germany. 5) Resupply issue 3,000 miles from Britain, supplies & communication took months 6)Advantage in numbers= 50,000 Brits to 10,000 colonists
5 Multiple choice questions
- FRENCH NOBLEMAN who brought trained soldiers to U.S.- became trusted friend of Washington
- British RECOGNIZED U.S. as INDEPENDENT NATION. Set U.S. borders from Atlantis to Mississippi River-southern border ended at Florida which was returned to Spain. Ended 8 years of warfare.
- SOLDIERS who FIGHT for MONEY & NOT OUT of loyalty to any country.
- First & fierce battle. Colonists drove British back twice before running out of bullets. 14,500 soldiers had no uniforms, flintlock muskets or no guns at all. Some had experience fighting in the French & Indian War, many had no experience fighting at all.
- U.S. SURPRISE ATTACK on TRENTON- started with a Christmas night crossing of the DELAWARE RIVER (famous painting of this) surprised Hessians guarding Trenton & took most prisoner. WASHINGTON fooled Brits by fake campfires while U.S. troops snuck out to attack Princeton. VICTORY gave U.S. hope.
5 True/False questions
Nathan Hale → U.S. officer caught by British spying- CONDEMNED to DEATH- he said, " I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
LOYALISTS/ TORIES → 20% of colonials who remained loyal to Britain.
American Enlistment Issue → SOLDIERS who FIGHT for MONEY & NOT OUT of loyalty to any country.
2nd CONTINENTAL CONGRESS-1775 → PHILADELPHIA MAY 1775- Attendees= John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, George Washington, Patrick Henry & others. Issued OLIVE BRANCH PETITION. Authorized & approved the DECLARATION of INDEPENDENCE.
OLIVE BRANCH PETITION → A UNION OF STATES in which each member state retains some independent control over internal & external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state. A federation, in contrast, is a union of states in which external affairs are controlled by a unified, central government.