5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- VALLEY FORGE 1777-1778
- OLIVE BRANCH PETITION
- John Hancock (1737-1793)
- Thaddeus Kosciusko
- a lowest point for U.S.- WASHINGTON'S troops suffered through harsh winter with few supplies
- b Sent to King George lll to ask for peace & REPEL of INTOLERABLE ACTS- BRITISH REJECTED IT.
- c 1737-1793. Patriot leader along with Samuel Adams of the SONS of LIBERTY. President of the second Continental Congress; first person to sign the Declaration of Independence.
- d POLISH ENGINEER who HELPED U.S. BUILD FORTS & OTHER DEFENSES.
- e to JOIN, or enlist someone, in an ASSOCIATION with OTHER STATES, ORGANIZATIONS, or PEOPLE FOR A COMMON PURPOSE.
5 Multiple choice questions
- BRITISH GENERAL who planned to crush WASHINGTON'S ARMY in NEW ENGLAND- instead WAS DEFEATED at SARATOGA
- U.S. SURPRISE ATTACK on TRENTON- started with a Christmas night crossing of the DELAWARE RIVER (famous painting of this) surprised Hessians guarding Trenton & took most prisoner. WASHINGTON fooled Brits by fake campfires while U.S. troops snuck out to attack Princeton. VICTORY gave U.S. hope.
- British General HOWE led 34,000 troops & 10,000 sailors VS. WASHINGTON'S 20,000 poorly trained troops & no navy. Colonists lost & retreated to Manhattan.
- FIRST AGREEMENT TO CREATE A NATIONAL GOVERNMENT FOR THE U.S.- gave authority to CONTINENTAL CONGRESS for what it was doing- inadequate agreement because it lacked authority to impose taxes & enforcement powers.
- The supreme, absolute, & uncontrollable power by which an independent state is governed & from which all specific political powers are derived. The INTENTIONAL INDEPENDENCE OF A STATE, combined with the right & power of regulating its internal affairs without foreign interference. The power of a state to do everything necessary to GOVERN ITSELF such as making, executing & applying laws, imposing & collecting taxes, making war & peace & forming treaties or engaging in commerce with foreign nations.
5 True/False questions
TREATY of PARIS → British RECOGNIZED U.S. as INDEPENDENT NATION. Set U.S. borders from Atlantis to Mississippi River-southern border ended at Florida which was returned to Spain. Ended 8 years of warfare.
Nathan Hale → U.S. officer caught by British spying- CONDEMNED to DEATH- he said, " I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
BLOCKADE → Blocking ports so no boats can enter or leave
Friedrich von Steuben → 1) British soldiers experienced, professional soldiers 2) best trained, most experienced officers & newest weapons. 3)British hired MERCENARIES from other countries. 4) HESSIANS=mercenaries from the Hesse region of Germany. 5) Resupply issue 3,000 miles from Britain, supplies & communication took months 6)Advantage in numbers= 50,000 Brits to 10,000 colonists
British Advantage → U.S. officer caught by British spying- CONDEMNED to DEATH- he said, " I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."