5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- BATTLE of YORKTOWN
- The CONTINENTAL ARMY
- BATTLE of SARATOGA
- a U.S. DEFEATED BRITISH GENERAL CORNWALLIS at YORKTOWN. British SURRENDERED to END WAR.
- b British GENERAL BURGOYNE'S forces DEFEATED at SARATOGA & he surrendered his whole army. Boosted U.S. spirits & U.S. VICTORY CONVINCED FRENCH TO SUPPORT U.S. French signed treaty with us & agreed to provide military aid- SPAIN & NETHERLANDS DID ALSO.
- c American Colonists army- the Patriots/home team- led by General GEORGE WASHINGTON.
- d A UNION OF STATES in which each member state retains some independent control over internal & external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state. A federation, in contrast, is a union of states in which external affairs are controlled by a unified, central government.
- e Blocking ports so no boats can enter or leave
5 Multiple choice questions
- SOLDIERS who FIGHT for MONEY & NOT OUT of loyalty to any country.
- FRENCH NOBLEMAN who brought trained soldiers to U.S.- became trusted friend of Washington
- name for colonial soldiers in NEW CONTINENTAL ARMY
- Sent to King George lll to ask for peace & REPEL of INTOLERABLE ACTS- BRITISH REJECTED IT.
- The supreme, absolute, & uncontrollable power by which an independent state is governed & from which all specific political powers are derived. The INTENTIONAL INDEPENDENCE OF A STATE, combined with the right & power of regulating its internal affairs without foreign interference. The power of a state to do everything necessary to GOVERN ITSELF such as making, executing & applying laws, imposing & collecting taxes, making war & peace & forming treaties or engaging in commerce with foreign nations.
5 True/False questions
Nathan Hale → to JOIN, or enlist someone, in an ASSOCIATION with OTHER STATES, ORGANIZATIONS, or PEOPLE FOR A COMMON PURPOSE.
BATTLE OF LEXINGTON & CONCORD- 1775 → British General HOWE led 34,000 troops & 10,000 sailors VS. WASHINGTON'S 20,000 poorly trained troops & no navy. Colonists lost & retreated to Manhattan.
Paul Revere (1735-1818) → Member of SONS of LIBERTY. A leading American silversmith remembered for his midnight ride (celebrated in a poem by Longfellow) to warn the colonists in Lexington and Concord that British troops were coming (1735-1818).
ALLY → to JOIN, or enlist someone, in an ASSOCIATION with OTHER STATES, ORGANIZATIONS, or PEOPLE FOR A COMMON PURPOSE.
John Burgoyne → BRITISH GENERAL who planned to crush WASHINGTON'S ARMY in NEW ENGLAND- instead WAS DEFEATED at SARATOGA