5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Marquis da Lafayette
- British Advantage
- The CONTINENTAL ARMY
- TREATY of PARIS
- a British RECOGNIZED U.S. as INDEPENDENT NATION. Set U.S. borders from Atlantis to Mississippi River-southern border ended at Florida which was returned to Spain. Ended 8 years of warfare.
- b FRENCH NOBLEMAN who brought trained soldiers to U.S.- became trusted friend of Washington
- c Blocking ports so no boats can enter or leave
- d 1) British soldiers experienced, professional soldiers 2) best trained, most experienced officers & newest weapons. 3)British hired MERCENARIES from other countries. 4) HESSIANS=mercenaries from the Hesse region of Germany. 5) Resupply issue 3,000 miles from Britain, supplies & communication took months 6)Advantage in numbers= 50,000 Brits to 10,000 colonists
- e American Colonists army- the Patriots/home team- led by General GEORGE WASHINGTON.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Thomas Jefferson (at 33 years old) primary writer. He wrote every evening for 17 days. Introduction states why the Declaration was needed. Main ideas about government= We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
- 20% of colonials who remained loyal to Britain.
- Member of SONS of LIBERTY. A leading American silversmith remembered for his midnight ride (celebrated in a poem by Longfellow) to warn the colonists in Lexington and Concord that British troops were coming (1735-1818).
- A UNION OF STATES in which each member state retains some independent control over internal & external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state. A federation, in contrast, is a union of states in which external affairs are controlled by a unified, central government.
- SOLDIERS who FIGHT for MONEY & NOT OUT of loyalty to any country.
5 True/False questions
ALLY → Troops on horseback
CAVALRY → to JOIN, or enlist someone, in an ASSOCIATION with OTHER STATES, ORGANIZATIONS, or PEOPLE FOR A COMMON PURPOSE.
ARTICLES of CONFEDERATION → A UNION OF STATES in which each member state retains some independent control over internal & external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state. A federation, in contrast, is a union of states in which external affairs are controlled by a unified, central government.
Thaddeus Kosciusko → POLISH ENGINEER who HELPED U.S. BUILD FORTS & OTHER DEFENSES.
VALLEY FORGE 1777-1778 → lowest point for U.S.- WASHINGTON'S troops suffered through harsh winter with few supplies