5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- ARTICLES of CONFEDERATION
- OLIVE BRANCH PETITION
- TREATY of PARIS
- a FIRST AGREEMENT TO CREATE A NATIONAL GOVERNMENT FOR THE U.S.- gave authority to CONTINENTAL CONGRESS for what it was doing- inadequate agreement because it lacked authority to impose taxes & enforcement powers.
- b British RECOGNIZED U.S. as INDEPENDENT NATION. Set U.S. borders from Atlantis to Mississippi River-southern border ended at Florida which was returned to Spain. Ended 8 years of warfare.
- c Sent to King George lll to ask for peace & REPEL of INTOLERABLE ACTS- BRITISH REJECTED IT.
- d SOLDIERS who FIGHT for MONEY & NOT OUT of loyalty to any country.
- e COLONIAL FIGHTERS that could be READY IN A MINUTE to defend Massachusetts.
5 Multiple choice questions
- 1) British soldiers experienced, professional soldiers 2) best trained, most experienced officers & newest weapons. 3)British hired MERCENARIES from other countries. 4) HESSIANS=mercenaries from the Hesse region of Germany. 5) Resupply issue 3,000 miles from Britain, supplies & communication took months 6)Advantage in numbers= 50,000 Brits to 10,000 colonists
- BRITISH GENERAL who planned to crush WASHINGTON'S ARMY in NEW ENGLAND- instead WAS DEFEATED at SARATOGA
- Blocking ports so no boats can enter or leave
- FRENCH NOBLEMAN who brought trained soldiers to U.S.- became trusted friend of Washington
- Wrote "COMMON SENSE". Patriot who changed public opinion with his pamphlet "Common Sense"- portrayed king George lll as a bully & claimed America's right to self rule.
5 True/False questions
John Hancock (1737-1793) → Member of SONS of LIBERTY. A leading American silversmith remembered for his midnight ride (celebrated in a poem by Longfellow) to warn the colonists in Lexington and Concord that British troops were coming (1735-1818).
Declaration of Independence continued → longest section was the colonists grievences, justification for revolution. Stated how colonists had tried to resolve differences peacefully. Said King was unfit to govern. CONCLUSION= 13 COLONIES DECLARE INDEPENDENCE- approved unanimously July 4, 1776. INDEPENDENCE DAY = July 4th every year since.
BATTLE of SARATOGA → British GENERAL BURGOYNE'S forces DEFEATED at SARATOGA & he surrendered his whole army. Boosted U.S. spirits & U.S. VICTORY CONVINCED FRENCH TO SUPPORT U.S. French signed treaty with us & agreed to provide military aid- SPAIN & NETHERLANDS DID ALSO.
Thaddeus Kosciusko → British RECOGNIZED U.S. as INDEPENDENT NATION. Set U.S. borders from Atlantis to Mississippi River-southern border ended at Florida which was returned to Spain. Ended 8 years of warfare.
CONFEDERATION → name for colonial soldiers in NEW CONTINENTAL ARMY