5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- BATTLE of SARATOGA
- OLIVE BRANCH PETITION
- Declaration of Independence continued
- Friedrich von Steuben
- VALLEY FORGE 1777-1778
- a longest section was the colonists grievences, justification for revolution. Stated how colonists had tried to resolve differences peacefully. Said King was unfit to govern. CONCLUSION= 13 COLONIES DECLARE INDEPENDENCE- approved unanimously July 4, 1776. INDEPENDENCE DAY = July 4th every year since.
- b British GENERAL BURGOYNE'S forces DEFEATED at SARATOGA & he surrendered his whole army. Boosted U.S. spirits & U.S. VICTORY CONVINCED FRENCH TO SUPPORT U.S. French signed treaty with us & agreed to provide military aid- SPAIN & NETHERLANDS DID ALSO.
- c PRUSSIAN SOLDIER who came to U.S. & trained troops
- d Sent to King George lll to ask for peace & REPEL of INTOLERABLE ACTS- BRITISH REJECTED IT.
- e lowest point for U.S.- WASHINGTON'S troops suffered through harsh winter with few supplies
5 Multiple choice questions
- The supreme, absolute, & uncontrollable power by which an independent state is governed & from which all specific political powers are derived. The INTENTIONAL INDEPENDENCE OF A STATE, combined with the right & power of regulating its internal affairs without foreign interference. The power of a state to do everything necessary to GOVERN ITSELF such as making, executing & applying laws, imposing & collecting taxes, making war & peace & forming treaties or engaging in commerce with foreign nations.
- U.S. officer caught by British spying- CONDEMNED to DEATH- he said, " I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
- Member of SONS of LIBERTY. A leading American silversmith remembered for his midnight ride (celebrated in a poem by Longfellow) to warn the colonists in Lexington and Concord that British troops were coming (1735-1818).
- A UNION OF STATES in which each member state retains some independent control over internal & external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state. A federation, in contrast, is a union of states in which external affairs are controlled by a unified, central government.
- U.S. DEFEATED BRITISH GENERAL CORNWALLIS at YORKTOWN. British SURRENDERED to END WAR.
5 True/False questions
BUNKER HILL- June 17, 1775, BOSTON → First & fierce battle. Colonists drove British back twice before running out of bullets. 14,500 soldiers had no uniforms, flintlock muskets or no guns at all. Some had experience fighting in the French & Indian War, many had no experience fighting at all.
Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809) → 1737-1793. Patriot leader along with Samuel Adams of the SONS of LIBERTY. President of the second Continental Congress; first person to sign the Declaration of Independence.
The CONTINENTAL ARMY → name for colonial soldiers in NEW CONTINENTAL ARMY
John Burgoyne → BRITISH GENERAL who planned to crush WASHINGTON'S ARMY in NEW ENGLAND- instead WAS DEFEATED at SARATOGA
John Hancock (1737-1793) → Member of SONS of LIBERTY. A leading American silversmith remembered for his midnight ride (celebrated in a poem by Longfellow) to warn the colonists in Lexington and Concord that British troops were coming (1735-1818).