5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- 2nd CONTINENTAL CONGRESS-1775
- Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)
- Friedrich von Steuben
- Marquis da Lafayette
- BATTLE of YORKTOWN
- a PHILADELPHIA MAY 1775- Attendees= John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, George Washington, Patrick Henry & others. Issued OLIVE BRANCH PETITION. Authorized & approved the DECLARATION of INDEPENDENCE.
- b Wrote "COMMON SENSE". Patriot who changed public opinion with his pamphlet "Common Sense"- portrayed king George lll as a bully & claimed America's right to self rule.
- c U.S. DEFEATED BRITISH GENERAL CORNWALLIS at YORKTOWN. British SURRENDERED to END WAR.
- d PRUSSIAN SOLDIER who came to U.S. & trained troops
- e FRENCH NOBLEMAN who brought trained soldiers to U.S.- became trusted friend of Washington
5 Multiple choice questions
- U.S. SURPRISE ATTACK on TRENTON- started with a Christmas night crossing of the DELAWARE RIVER (famous painting of this) surprised Hessians guarding Trenton & took most prisoner. WASHINGTON fooled Brits by fake campfires while U.S. troops snuck out to attack Princeton. VICTORY gave U.S. hope.
- U.S. officer caught by British spying- CONDEMNED to DEATH- he said, " I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
- COLONIAL FIGHTERS that could be READY IN A MINUTE to defend Massachusetts.
- Sent to King George lll to ask for peace & REPEL of INTOLERABLE ACTS- BRITISH REJECTED IT.
- Thomas Jefferson (at 33 years old) primary writer. He wrote every evening for 17 days. Introduction states why the Declaration was needed. Main ideas about government= We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
5 True/False questions
BUNKER HILL- June 17, 1775, BOSTON → First & fierce battle. Colonists drove British back twice before running out of bullets. 14,500 soldiers had no uniforms, flintlock muskets or no guns at all. Some had experience fighting in the French & Indian War, many had no experience fighting at all.
American Enlistment Issue → SOLDIERS who FIGHT for MONEY & NOT OUT of loyalty to any country.
BATTLE of LONG ISLAND → British General HOWE led 34,000 troops & 10,000 sailors VS. WASHINGTON'S 20,000 poorly trained troops & no navy. Colonists lost & retreated to Manhattan.
John Hancock (1737-1793) → 1737-1793. Patriot leader along with Samuel Adams of the SONS of LIBERTY. President of the second Continental Congress; first person to sign the Declaration of Independence.
VALLEY FORGE 1777-1778 → lowest point for U.S.- WASHINGTON'S troops suffered through harsh winter with few supplies