5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- BATTLE of YORKTOWN
- DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
- Paul Revere (1735-1818)
- a Blocking ports so no boats can enter or leave
- b Thomas Jefferson (at 33 years old) primary writer. He wrote every evening for 17 days. Introduction states why the Declaration was needed. Main ideas about government= We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
- c Member of SONS of LIBERTY. A leading American silversmith remembered for his midnight ride (celebrated in a poem by Longfellow) to warn the colonists in Lexington and Concord that British troops were coming (1735-1818).
- d Troops on horseback
- e U.S. DEFEATED BRITISH GENERAL CORNWALLIS at YORKTOWN. British SURRENDERED to END WAR.
5 Multiple choice questions
- British General HOWE led 34,000 troops & 10,000 sailors VS. WASHINGTON'S 20,000 poorly trained troops & no navy. Colonists lost & retreated to Manhattan.
- longest section was the colonists grievences, justification for revolution. Stated how colonists had tried to resolve differences peacefully. Said King was unfit to govern. CONCLUSION= 13 COLONIES DECLARE INDEPENDENCE- approved unanimously July 4, 1776. INDEPENDENCE DAY = July 4th every year since.
- 1) British soldiers experienced, professional soldiers 2) best trained, most experienced officers & newest weapons. 3)British hired MERCENARIES from other countries. 4) HESSIANS=mercenaries from the Hesse region of Germany. 5) Resupply issue 3,000 miles from Britain, supplies & communication took months 6)Advantage in numbers= 50,000 Brits to 10,000 colonists
- PHILADELPHIA MAY 1775- Attendees= John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, George Washington, Patrick Henry & others. Issued OLIVE BRANCH PETITION. Authorized & approved the DECLARATION of INDEPENDENCE.
- PRUSSIAN SOLDIER who came to U.S. & trained troops
5 True/False questions
LOYALISTS/ TORIES → British RECOGNIZED U.S. as INDEPENDENT NATION. Set U.S. borders from Atlantis to Mississippi River-southern border ended at Florida which was returned to Spain. Ended 8 years of warfare.
Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809) → 1737-1793. Patriot leader along with Samuel Adams of the SONS of LIBERTY. President of the second Continental Congress; first person to sign the Declaration of Independence.
BATTLE of TRENTON → U.S. SURPRISE ATTACK on TRENTON- started with a Christmas night crossing of the DELAWARE RIVER (famous painting of this) surprised Hessians guarding Trenton & took most prisoner. WASHINGTON fooled Brits by fake campfires while U.S. troops snuck out to attack Princeton. VICTORY gave U.S. hope.
OLIVE BRANCH PETITION → A UNION OF STATES in which each member state retains some independent control over internal & external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state. A federation, in contrast, is a union of states in which external affairs are controlled by a unified, central government.
Thaddeus Kosciusko → POLISH ENGINEER who HELPED U.S. BUILD FORTS & OTHER DEFENSES.