5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- BATTLE OF LEXINGTON & CONCORD- 1775
- BATTLE of LONG ISLAND
- TREATY of PARIS
- BATTLE of YORKTOWN
- a General Gage tried to capture a store of Patriot arms. Patriots knew "The Redcoats are coming!!". 8 colonists & 1 British soldier killed at Lexington. Patriots forced the British to retreat at Concord.
- b British RECOGNIZED U.S. as INDEPENDENT NATION. Set U.S. borders from Atlantis to Mississippi River-southern border ended at Florida which was returned to Spain. Ended 8 years of warfare.
- c British General HOWE led 34,000 troops & 10,000 sailors VS. WASHINGTON'S 20,000 poorly trained troops & no navy. Colonists lost & retreated to Manhattan.
- d U.S. DEFEATED BRITISH GENERAL CORNWALLIS at YORKTOWN. British SURRENDERED to END WAR.
- e to JOIN, or enlist someone, in an ASSOCIATION with OTHER STATES, ORGANIZATIONS, or PEOPLE FOR A COMMON PURPOSE.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Sent to King George lll to ask for peace & REPEL of INTOLERABLE ACTS- BRITISH REJECTED IT.
- 1737-1793. Patriot leader along with Samuel Adams of the SONS of LIBERTY. President of the second Continental Congress; first person to sign the Declaration of Independence.
- American Colonists army- the Patriots/home team- led by General GEORGE WASHINGTON.
- First & fierce battle. Colonists drove British back twice before running out of bullets. 14,500 soldiers had no uniforms, flintlock muskets or no guns at all. Some had experience fighting in the French & Indian War, many had no experience fighting at all.
- PRUSSIAN SOLDIER who came to U.S. & trained troops
5 True/False questions
Declaration of Independence continued → Thomas Jefferson (at 33 years old) primary writer. He wrote every evening for 17 days. Introduction states why the Declaration was needed. Main ideas about government= We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
MERCENARIES → SOLDIERS who FIGHT for MONEY & NOT OUT of loyalty to any country.
MINUTEMEN → COLONIAL FIGHTERS that could be READY IN A MINUTE to defend Massachusetts.
BATTLE of TRENTON → U.S. SURPRISE ATTACK on TRENTON- started with a Christmas night crossing of the DELAWARE RIVER (famous painting of this) surprised Hessians guarding Trenton & took most prisoner. WASHINGTON fooled Brits by fake campfires while U.S. troops snuck out to attack Princeton. VICTORY gave U.S. hope.
2nd CONTINENTAL CONGRESS-1775 → PHILADELPHIA MAY 1775- Attendees= John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, George Washington, Patrick Henry & others. Issued OLIVE BRANCH PETITION. Authorized & approved the DECLARATION of INDEPENDENCE.