5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Declaration of Independence continued
- ARTICLES of CONFEDERATION
- OLIVE BRANCH PETITION
- a longest section was the colonists grievences, justification for revolution. Stated how colonists had tried to resolve differences peacefully. Said King was unfit to govern. CONCLUSION= 13 COLONIES DECLARE INDEPENDENCE- approved unanimously July 4, 1776. INDEPENDENCE DAY = July 4th every year since.
- b FIRST AGREEMENT TO CREATE A NATIONAL GOVERNMENT FOR THE U.S.- gave authority to CONTINENTAL CONGRESS for what it was doing- inadequate agreement because it lacked authority to impose taxes & enforcement powers.
- c A UNION OF STATES in which each member state retains some independent control over internal & external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state. A federation, in contrast, is a union of states in which external affairs are controlled by a unified, central government.
- d Sent to King George lll to ask for peace & REPEL of INTOLERABLE ACTS- BRITISH REJECTED IT.
- e SOLDIERS who FIGHT for MONEY & NOT OUT of loyalty to any country.
5 Multiple choice questions
- First & fierce battle. Colonists drove British back twice before running out of bullets. 14,500 soldiers had no uniforms, flintlock muskets or no guns at all. Some had experience fighting in the French & Indian War, many had no experience fighting at all.
- Wrote "COMMON SENSE". Patriot who changed public opinion with his pamphlet "Common Sense"- portrayed king George lll as a bully & claimed America's right to self rule.
- U.S. DEFEATED BRITISH GENERAL CORNWALLIS at YORKTOWN. British SURRENDERED to END WAR.
- FRENCH NOBLEMAN who brought trained soldiers to U.S.- became trusted friend of Washington
- The supreme, absolute, & uncontrollable power by which an independent state is governed & from which all specific political powers are derived. The INTENTIONAL INDEPENDENCE OF A STATE, combined with the right & power of regulating its internal affairs without foreign interference. The power of a state to do everything necessary to GOVERN ITSELF such as making, executing & applying laws, imposing & collecting taxes, making war & peace & forming treaties or engaging in commerce with foreign nations.
5 True/False questions
Thaddeus Kosciusko → POLISH ENGINEER who HELPED U.S. BUILD FORTS & OTHER DEFENSES.
Paul Revere (1735-1818) → Member of SONS of LIBERTY. A leading American silversmith remembered for his midnight ride (celebrated in a poem by Longfellow) to warn the colonists in Lexington and Concord that British troops were coming (1735-1818).
TREATY of PARIS → British RECOGNIZED U.S. as INDEPENDENT NATION. Set U.S. borders from Atlantis to Mississippi River-southern border ended at Florida which was returned to Spain. Ended 8 years of warfare.
BATTLE OF LEXINGTON & CONCORD- 1775 → General Gage tried to capture a store of Patriot arms. Patriots knew "The Redcoats are coming!!". 8 colonists & 1 British soldier killed at Lexington. Patriots forced the British to retreat at Concord.
American Enlistment Issue → most American soldiers enlisted for only one year. They would leave when they weren't paid or when they had to plant crops or harvest crops at home.