Create an account
4. Which of the following processes requires the highest release of energy from the water molecules?
at what elevation will condensation begin? ,B) 1300 meters
7. If air at sea level with a temperature of 27 degrees C is forced up a mountain slope and the air's dew point at the condensation level is 14 degrees C
B) latent heat is released inside a parcel of rising saturated air.
8. The moist adiabatic rate is different from the dry adiabatic rate because:
then the atmosphere is said to be: ,C) conditionally stable.
9. If your environmental lapse rate is -7 C/km on a partly cloudy afternoon
then the atmosphere is said to be: ,B) absolutely stable.
10. If your environmental lapse rate is 17 C/km on a partly cloudy afternoon
B) colder, more
11. An inversion represents an extremely stable atmosphere because a parcel of air that rises into an inversion will eventually become _______ and ________ dense than the air surrounding it.
working together, will make the atmosphere the most unstable. ,B) warm the surface and cool the air aloft
12. These two conditions
B) drops rapidly
13. The atmosphere is most unstable when the temperature of the air _________ with height.
the temperature decreases because the air has: ,B) lost heat to the colder air at higher altitudes.
15. During the process of adiabatic cooling
A) The relative humidity at 2:00 p.m. is higher.
17. Assume that the actual vapor content of the air remains constant over the course of the day. How does the relative humidity at 2:00 p.m. probably compare to the relative humidity at 5:00 a.m.?
C) evaporation of 1 gram of water
18. Which of the following requires the GREATEST RELEASE of latent heat energy into the atmosphere?
A) Palm Springs will have a higher vapor content than Great Falls. 20. Water vapor constitutes about this much of the atmosphere by volume. A) 0-4 percent
19. The air in Great Falls Montana has a temperature of 5°C and a relative humidity of 50 percent. On the same afternoon the air in Palm Springs California has a temperature of 25°C and a relative humidity of 50 percent. What can be said about the amount of vapor in the air at these two cities?
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together