5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Chemical Oceanographers
- a study chemical composition of the oceans and their relationships to geology and biology.
- b Organized shipborne commerce on the Nile River!
- c Observations show that the universe is _____________
- d explored the Mediterranean and Atlantic-noticed a current running in and out. named it "okeanos" ocean was derived from this.
- e European who mapped the Great Barrier Reef
5 Multiple choice questions
- Earth is about ___________ water.
- study sea floor sediments, plate tectonics, history of the earth and atmosphere
- First to orient charts by placing east on the right hand side and north at the top
- This was the name given by the Vikings to Newfoundland.
- Took the earliest depth measurements
5 True/False questions
Challenger → Charles Thomson and John Murray led first scientific oceanographic voyage. 4 yrs. thought they was no life below 1,800ft. able to sample down to 26,850ft. found 4,717 new species. took 15 yrs. to produce the "Challenger Report" 50 volume report.
Ocean → a large, hot ball of gases, which is held together by gravity and gives off its own light
Polynesians → Organized shipborne commerce on the Nile River!
15 → Earth is about ___________ water.
Compass → The invention of the __________ and central rudder, and improvements in sail design were contributions made by the Chinese.