Chapter 1: The Chemical World.
Study Guide via Chapter Outlines on Blackboard.
Things you should know:
Chemistry is studying the world by looking at atoms and molecules
Everything is made of atoms and molecules
Chemicals are all around you and are what you are made of
• is studying the world by looking at atoms and molecules. • understand the world from the perspective of atoms and molecules.
Everything is made of ____ and ____.
atoms and molecules
• are all around you and are what you are made of. • anything we can write a chemical formula for (ie. H₂O, CO ₂).
• Observation • Hypothesis • Experiment • Results • Theory
Observation (Scientific Method)
• Step 1 of Scientific Method • something about the world
Hypothesis (Scientific Method)
• Step 2 of Scientific Method • a preliminary theory
Experiment (Scientific Method)
• Step 3 of Scientific Method • test hypothesis
If Hypothesis was wrong, go back to Hypothesis Step. If Data supports the hypothesis, move on to Theory Step.