5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is likely to happen to a protein molecule exposed to intense heat or radiation?
- Describe two ways that atoms may combine with other atoms.
- What is a buffer?
- What does the pH scale measure?
- What is the relationship between matter and elements?
- a they are chemicals that resist pH change. They combine with hydrogen ions when these ions are in excess or they donate hydrogen ions when these ions are depleted.
- b tracks the number of decimal places in a hydrogen ion concentration without writing them out.
- c Two atoms of hydrogen can combine with one atom of oxygen to produce a molecule of the compound water.
Atoms of the same element combine, they produce molecules of that element.
- d All matter is composed of fundamental substances.
- e All proteins have a special shape and their shape determines what function they will perform. Proteins can become denatured or their shape can change and it'll cause the loss of function. Proteins exposed to heat will most likely become denatured and lose the ability to perform their task.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Electrolyte: substance that ionizes in a water solution
Nonelectrolyte: organic compounds that dissolve in water, usually do not release ions.
- Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Quaternary
- Synthesis: when 2 or more atoms, ions, or molecules bond to form a more complex structure A+B->AB
Decomposition: bonds of a reactant molecule break to form simpler molecules, atoms, or ions AB->A+B
Exchange: parts of 2 different types of molecular trade positions as bonds are broken and new are formed AB + CD-> AD+ BC
Reversible: product or products can change back to reactant or reactants A+B<-> AB
- Organic: compounds have carbon and hydrogen.
Inorganic: all other chemicals, chemicals that does not include both carbon and hydrogen atoms.
- Molecule: two or more atoms may combine to form a distinctive type of particle.
Compound: substance composed of two or more chemically bonded elements.
5 True/False questions
A hydrophilic molecule dissolved in.... → Water
Why is a knowledge of chemistry essential to understanding physiology? → Molecular: consists of the symbols of the elements in the molecule with numerical subscripts that indicate how many atoms of each element are present.
Structural: representation of the way atoms bond in a molecule.
Distinguish between an ion and a polar molecule. → Ions: atom or molecule with an electrical charge.
Polar: molecule in which the electrons and protons are not distributed symmetrically.
What is atomic radiation? → Energy or atomic fragments they emit.
How does the number of protons in a water molecule compare with the number of electrons? → the nucleus of an atom.