5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Explain how electrons are distributed within the electron shell of atoms.
- What is the relationship between matter and elements?
- Distinguish between a molecule and a compound.
- What are the functions of DNA and RNA?
- What is atomic radiation?
- a All matter is composed of fundamental substances.
- b Energy or atomic fragments they emit.
- c Each electron shell can hold a limited # of electrons. The maximum number of electrons that each of the 1st three shells can hold for elements of atomic number 18 and under is ...1st shell ( close to the nucleus) 2 e-, second shell 8 e-, third shell 8 e-. More complex atoms may have as many as 18 e- in the 3rd shell.
- d Molecule: two or more atoms may combine to form a distinctive type of particle.
Compound: substance composed of two or more chemically bonded elements.
- e DNA: molecules store the information for protein synthesis.
RNA: molecules use this information to construct specific protein molecules.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Two atoms of hydrogen can combine with one atom of oxygen to produce a molecule of the compound water.
Atoms of the same element combine, they produce molecules of that element.
- The solution at pH 6.4 has 100 times the hydrogen ion concentration of a solution at pH 8.42.
- Atoms that gain or lose electrons because electrically charge.
- Acid: substance that releases hydrogen ion
Base: substance that release ions that can combine with hydrogen ions
Salt: substance formed by the reaction between and acid and a base.
- Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, phosphorus.
5 True/False questions
Distinguish between an ion and a polar molecule. → Ions: atom or molecule with an electrical charge.
Polar: molecule in which the electrons and protons are not distributed symmetrically.
What is likely to happen to a protein molecule exposed to intense heat or radiation? → All proteins have a special shape and their shape determines what function they will perform. Proteins can become denatured or their shape can change and it'll cause the loss of function. Proteins exposed to heat will most likely become denatured and lose the ability to perform their task.
Define electrolyte balance. → The body regularly gains and loses these electrolytes, but they must be present in certain concentrations, both inside and outside cells, to maintain homeostasis.
Describe 4 types of chemical reactions. → Synthesis: when 2 or more atoms, ions, or molecules bond to form a more complex structure A+B->AB
Decomposition: bonds of a reactant molecule break to form simpler molecules, atoms, or ions AB->A+B
Exchange: parts of 2 different types of molecular trade positions as bonds are broken and new are formed AB + CD-> AD+ BC
Reversible: product or products can change back to reactant or reactants A+B<-> AB
What is a molecular formula? A structural formula? → Energy or atomic fragments they emit.