5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- chasten chastise
- a discipline; punish; chastise in order to correct
Whom God loves, God chastens.
- b casual and offhand; arrogant; presumptuous; impudent
Sensitive about having her ideas taken lightly, Marcia felt insulted by Mark's cavalier dismissal of her suggestion.
- c angelic; innocent-looking
With her cheerful smile and rosy cheeks, she was a particularly cherubic child.
- d abyss, hole, cavity, hollow, aperture
They could not see the bottom of the chasm.
- e burning; sarcastically biting(1. ăn da 2. châm biếm (mockery = sarcasm n.)
The critic's caustic remarks angered the hapless actors who were the subjects of his sarcasm.
5 Multiple choice questions
- overseer of morals; person who eliminates inappropriate matter(người kiểm duyệt)
Soldiers dislike having their mail read by a censor but understand the need for this precaution.
- blame; criticize
He was censured for his inappropriate behavior.
- lizard that changes color in different situations
Like the chameleon, he assumed the political coloration of every group he met.
- curb;restrain;control (kiem che)
Thrusting out her arm, Grandma checked Bobby's lunge at his sister. "Young man," she said, "you'd better check your temper."
- pertaining to the brain or intellect(a. 1. thuộc não, thuộc suy nghĩ 2. intellectual
The content of philosophical works is cerebral in nature and requires much thought.)
5 True/False questions
chimerical → fantastic; highly imaginative
Poe's chimerical stories are sometimes too morbid for reading in bed.
centrifuge → machine that separates substances by whirling them
At the dairy, we employ a centrifuge to separate cream from milk.
cathartic → purgative (thuốc tẩy thuốc xổ)
Some drugs act as laxatives when taken in small doses but act as cathartics when taken in much larger doses.
centripetal → radiating; departing from the center
Many automatic drying machines remove excess moisture from clothing by centrifugal force.(ly tâm)
cavalcade → quibble; complaint
I respect your sensible criticisms, but I dislike the way you cavil about unimportant details.