5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a purging or cleansing of any passage of the body(sự tẩy nhẹ)
Aristotle maintained that tragedy created a catharsis by purging the soul of base concepts.
- b overseer of morals; person who eliminates inappropriate matter(người kiểm duyệt)
Soldiers dislike having their mail read by a censor but understand the need for this precaution.
- c thought
Mathematics problems sometimes require much cerebration.
- d procession; parade (đoàn diễu hành)
As described by Chaucer, the cavalcade of Canterbury pilgrims was motley group.
- e trickery, deception( sự ngụy biện bịp bợm)
Your deceitful tactics in this case are indications of chicanery.
5 Multiple choice questions
- to make watertight (by plugging seams) (hàn,bít chỗ hở) (When water from the shower leaked into the basement, we knew it was time to caulk the tiles at the edges of the shower stall.)
- courteous; faithful; brave; well-mannered
chivalrous behavior involves noble words and good deeds.
- casual and offhand; arrogant; presumptuous; impudent
Sensitive about having her ideas taken lightly, Marcia felt insulted by Mark's cavalier dismissal of her suggestion.
- burning; sarcastically biting(1. ăn da 2. châm biếm (mockery = sarcasm n.)
The critic's caustic remarks angered the hapless actors who were the subjects of his sarcasm.
- blame; criticize
He was censured for his inappropriate behavior.
5 True/False questions
ciliated → having minute hairs(có mao)
The paramecium is a ciliated, one-celled animal.
chasm → abyss, hole, cavity, hollow, aperture
They could not see the bottom of the chasm.
champion → lizard that changes color in different situations
Like the chameleon, he assumed the political coloration of every group he met.
chafe → warm by rubbing
The collar chafed his neck.
ceremonious → marked by formality (chuộng nghi thức, kiểu cách)
Ordinary dress would be in appropriate at so ceremonious an affair.