5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a burning; sarcastically biting(1. ăn da 2. châm biếm (mockery = sarcasm n.)
The critic's caustic remarks angered the hapless actors who were the subjects of his sarcasm.
- b marked by changes in fortune
During his checkered career he had lived in palatial mansions and in dreary boardinghouses. (vừa thành công vừa thất bại)
- c casual and offhand; arrogant; presumptuous; impudent
Sensitive about having her ideas taken lightly, Marcia felt insulted by Mark's cavalier dismissal of her suggestion.
- d goblet; consecrated cup
In a small room adjoining the cathedral, many ornately decorated chalices made by the most famous European goldsmiths were on display.
- e in utter disorder
He tried to bring order into the chaotic state of affairs.
5 Multiple choice questions
- curve; ornament a metal surface by indenting
With his hammer, he carefully chased an intricate design onto the surface of the chalice.(indent: khắc khía răng cưa)
- machine that separates substances by whirling them
At the dairy, we employ a centrifuge to separate cream from milk.
- pertaining to the brain or intellect(a. 1. thuộc não, thuộc suy nghĩ 2. intellectual
The content of philosophical works is cerebral in nature and requires much thought.)
- critical; captious; carping
censorious people delight in casting blame.
- to make watertight (by plugging seams) (hàn,bít chỗ hở) (When water from the shower leaked into the basement, we knew it was time to caulk the tiles at the edges of the shower stall.)
5 True/False questions
chaste → pure (trong trắng tinh khôi)
Her chaste and decorous garb (clothes) was appropriately selected for the solemnity (seriousness) of the occasion.
chauvinist → blindly devoted patriot
A chauvinist cannot recognize any faults in his country, no matter how flagrant they may be.
ciliated → having minute hairs(có mao)
The paramecium is a ciliated, one-celled animal.
chameleon → lizard that changes color in different situations
Like the chameleon, he assumed the political coloration of every group he met.
celestial → heavenly, mundane
She spoke of the celestial joys that awaited virtuous souls in the hereafter.