5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a unit of weight for precious stones; measure of fineness of gold
He gave her a diamond that weighed three carats and was mounted in an eighteen-carat gold band.
- b serious or fatal accident (tai nạn - nạn nhân)
The number of automotive casualties on this holiday weekend was high.
- c set of bells capable of being played
The carillon in the bell tower of the Coca-Cola pavilion at the New York World's Fair provided musical
entertainment every hour.
- d story set to music, to be sung by a chorus
The choral society sang the new cantata composed by its leader.
- e determine or seek opinions, votes, etc.
van dong bau cu
5 Multiple choice questions
- title; chapter heading; text under illustration
I find the captions that accompany these cartoons very clever and humorous.
- coax; wheedle (dỗ ngọt để ai đó làm lợi cho bản thân)
I will not be cajoled into granting your wish.
- slingshot; hurling machine
Airplanes are sometimes launched from battleships by catapults.
- youthful; immature
In that youthful movement, the leaders were only a little less callow than their immature followers.
5 True/False questions
cadaverous → like a corpse; pale
From his cadaverous appearance, we could see how the disease had ravaged him.
callous → hardened; unfeeling; heartless
(He had worked in the hospital for so many years that he was callous to the suffering in the wards.)
catalyst → agent that brings about a chemical change while it remains unaffected and unchanged
Many chemical reactions cannot take place without the presence of a catalyst.
canter → n v. gallop
phi nuoc kieu
careen → lurch; sway from side to side (lao dao)
The taxicab careened wildly as it rounded the corner.