5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- amino acid
- nucleic acid
- a carbon compound joined by peptide bonds; building block of proteins.
- b substance that releases hydroxide ions (OH-) when dissolved in water; a basic solution has a pH greater than 7.
- c atom that is negatively or positively charged because it have lost or gained one or more electrons.
- d large molecule formed from smaller repeating units or identical, or nearly identical, compounds linked by covalent bonds.
- e complex macromolecule that stores and communicates genetic information.
5 Multiple choice questions
- particle without a charge in an atom's nucleus
- building block of matter; contains subatomic particles—neutrons, protons, and electrons
- pure substance composed of only one type of atom; cannot be broken down into another substance by physical or chemical means
- hydrophobic biological molecule composed mostly or carbon and hydrogen; fats, oils, and waxes are lipids
- homogeneous mixture formed when a substance (the solute) is dissolved in another substance (the solvent).
5 True/False questions
pH → atom that is negatively or positively charged because it have lost or gained one or more electrons.
covalent bond → electrical attraction between two oppositely charged atoms or groups of atoms.
nucleotide → center of an atom; contains neutrons and protons. In eukaryotic cells, the central membrane-bound organelle that manages cellular functions and contains DNA
buffer → substance that releases hydroxide ions (OH-) when dissolved in water; a basic solution has a pH greater than 7.
polar molecule → molecule with oppositely charged regions