5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction by reducing the activation energy.
- b substance that exists before a chemical reaction starts; located on the left side of the arrow in a chemical reaction.
- c reactant to which an enzyme binds
- d measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution.
- e compound whose atoms are held together by covalent bonds
5 Multiple choice questions
- a subunit of nucleic acid formed from a single sugar, a phosphate group, and a nitrogenous base.
- particle without a charge in an atom's nucleus
- substance dissolved in a solvent.
- substance that releases hydroxide ions (OH-) when dissolved in water; a basic solution has a pH greater than 7.
- energy-requiring process by which atoms or groups of atoms in substances are changed into different substances
5 True/False questions
ion → building block of matter; contains subatomic particles—neutrons, protons, and electrons
carbohydrate → organic compound containing carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen in a ratio of on oxygen and two hydrogen atoms for each carbon atom.
solvent → pure substance composed of only one type of atom; cannot be broken down into another substance by physical or chemical means
isotope → positively charged particle in an atom's nucleus.
ionic bond → homogeneous mixture formed when a substance (the solute) is dissolved in another substance (the solvent).