Chapter 13 The Art of Public Speaking
Terms in this set (14)
What is nonverbal communication? Why is it important to effective public speaking?
1. Nonverbal communication is based on a person's use of voice and body, rather than on the use of words.
2. Effective delivery conveys the speaker's ideas clearly, engagingly, and without distracting then audience.
What are the elements of good speech delivery?
4. Vocal and facial expressiveness
5. Lively sense of communication
What are the four methods of speech delivery?
1. Reading verbatim from a manuscript
2. Reciting a memorized text
3. Speaking impromptu
4. Speaking extemporaneously
What are the eight aspects of voice usage you should concentrate on in your speeches?
1. Volume - loudness & softness
2. Pitch - highness or lowness
3. Rate - speed
4. Pauses - momentary break in the vocal delivery without vocalizing the pause (uh, er, um, you know, like)
5. Vocal variety - changes in rate, pitch, & volume that gives the voice variety and expressiveness
6. Pronunciation - accepted standard of sound and rhythm for words
7. Articulation - physical production of a particular speech sound
8. Dialect - variety of a language distinguished by variations of accent, grammar, vocabulary
What are four aspects of bodily action you should concentrate on in your speeches?
1. Personal appearance
4. Eye contact
What are the five steps you should follow when practicing your speech delivery?
1. Go through your preparation outline aloud to check how what you have written translates into spoken discourse.
2. Prepare your speaking outline.
3. Practice the speech aloud several times using only the speaking outline.
4. Begin to polish and refine your delivery.
5. Give your speech a dress rehearsal under conditions as close as possible to those you will face in class.
What steps should you take when preparing for a question-and-answer session? What should you concentrate on when responding to questions during the session?
A) Formulate answers to possible questions
B) Practice the delivery of your answers
A) Approach questions with a positive attitude
B) Listen carefully
C) Direct answers to the entire audience
D) Be honest and straightforward
E) Stay on track
What eight steps should you take if you are faced with presenting an online speech?
1. Understand the special nature of the online environment
2. Know your technology
3. Control the visual environment
4. Adapt your nonverbal communication
5. Adjust your pacing for the online environment
6. Manage Q&A for the online environment
7. Rehearse for the online environment
8. Have a backup plan
speech that is written out word for word
examples - major, president
mostly used for every short speeches such as a toast, congratulatory remarks, acceptance speeches, introductions
a speech delivered with little or no immediate preparation
example - random weather announcement, crisis, police chief giving random speech
carefully prepared and well-rehearsed speech that is presented from a brief set of notes and given with conversational quality
study of body motions as a systematic mode of communication
personal appearance -
gestures - motions of a speaker's hands or arms during a speech
eye contact - direct visual contact with the eyes of another person
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Academic English (SAT GMAT TOEIC TOEFL IELTS)
Chapter 13 Public Speaking
Public Speaking. Chapter 13- Delivery of Speech
public speaking chapter 13
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Critical Thinking Chapter 7
The Art of Public Speaking - Chapter 17
The Art of Public speaking-chapter 16 persuasive speech
axial skeleton - chapter 12
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
The Art of Public Speaking - Chapter 14
The Art Of Public Speaking: Chapter 15
The Art of Public Speaking - Chapter 6
The Art of Public Speaking Chapter 7