Upgrade to remove ads
2017 California Explorers Study Guide
Study guide questions 1, 12, and 13 are not included on the test.
Terms in this set (15)
1. What was the first Spanish explorer/conqueror to explore the area around Baja California.
1. Cortes and his men explored around Baja California.
2. What are the reasons for Spanish exploration of North America?
2. They wanted to find a water passage through North America to Asia and find riches for Spain.
3. What country did each of the explorers sail for?
3. Cabrillo and Vizcaino sailed for Spain, while Drake sailed for the country of England.
4. What year did each of the explorers reach California?
4. Cabrillo 1542, Drake 1579, Vizcaino 1602
5. Why was Cortés's expedition to the land that is now Mexico important?
5. Cortés proved there was gold and silver in North America and made his way up to the peninsula that is now Baja California.
6. What were the results of Cabrillo's expedition to Alta California?
6. Cabrillo was the first European to get to Alta California when he sailed into San Diego Bay.
7. How were Drake's goals different than the goals of the Spanish explorers?
7. Drake's goal was to gain riches by taking gold and silver from Spanish galleons. He didn't care about finding land in Alta California.
8. Where did Drake end up going ashore in Alta California?
8. He found a sheltered harbor in Northern California above San Francisco Bay. It is now called Drake's Bay.
9. How was Drake's group treated by the local Native tribe, the Miwoks?
9. Drake and his sailors were treated well by the Miwok native tribe as they helped him repair his ship.
10. What were Vizcaíno's goals for his expedition?
10. Vizcaino was to look for good harbors along the Alta California coast to protect Spanish ships from wind and waves.
11. What bay did Vizcaino originally think would be a safe harbor for Spanish ships?
Vizcaino originally thought he had found a safe harbor at Monterey Bay, but later found that the wind and ocean currents coming into the bay were too strong.
12. What were the hardships that Vizcaíno and other Spanish explorers faced on their journey?
11. Coastal mountains, ocean currents, wind currents
13. Why did the Spanish discontinue exploration into Alta California for over 150 years?
12. The hardships, wind and water currents and mountains along the coast, became too great, and the Spanish had to send their resources to other areas of the world.
14. Describe and locate the routes of Cabrillo, Drake, and Vizcaino. What bay did each one discover?
13. See your maps in the note packet and the maps on pages 76, 77, 83, 84, and 92 in the textbook.
a. Cabrillo took his ship up the coast of Alta California and discovered San Diego Bay. He continued up the coast almost to Oregon,then turned around. He died on one of the Channel Islands, but his ship returned to to Navidad.
b. Drake came up the coast of Alta California after raiding Spanish ship in the Pacific off of New Spain. He found a safe harbor above San Francisco, now called Drake's Bay. Then he headed north, but turned around and headed west across the Pacific Ocean to return to England.
c. Vizcaino sailed close to the Alta California as he mapped the coastline and looked for safe harbors for Spanish galleons returning from Manila. He discovered Monterey Bay before continuing north to the Oregon border, then fighting wind and water current, turned his ships around to return to New Spain.
15. Short Answer: You will be writing about this topic on your test.
Why did you choose this explorer? What is unique about his expedition? Show what you know!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
California Explorers Study Guide Answers
Exploring the Americas
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
California Gold Rush Vocabulary (2017)
Number the Stars Word of the Day
Island of the Blue Dolphins Ch. 9-12
Island of the Blue Dolphins Landforms Vocabulary