5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What are isotopes?
- What is a hydrogen bond? Strong or weak?
- What is a chemical bond?
- What are ionic bonds?
- What is a molecule?
- a Electron gaining or losing; e⁻ TRANSFER (NOT SHARING) between two atoms
- b Atoms interacting with each other to share, take, or give electrons.
- c 2 or more atoms held together by covalent bonds
- d Different forms of the same element; they differ in number of neutrons, but they have the same # of protons and behave identically in chemical reactions
- e Partial plus of a Hydrogen in a polar molecule forms a bond with a Partial Minus of another polar molecule; Weak bond.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The making and breaking of chemical bonds.
1. Reactants - structure of chemicals prior to a chemical reaction
3. Products - structure of chemicals as a result of a chemical reaction
- Covalent bonds are the SHARING of electrons, whether it be equally or unequally
Ionic bonds are the GAINING or LOSING of electrons, NOT SHARING
- Positive ion = CATION
Negative ion = ANION
- The sharing of electrons UNEQUALLY; atoms have differing electronegativities
- Covalent bonds (STRONGEST) and Ionic bonds.
5 True/False questions
Are Van der Waals interactions weak or strong? → The electrons on the outermost orbital shell
What is the atomic number? → The number of protons and neutrons in nucleus.
How many electrons does it take to fill the first orbital shell? The second? The third? → First shell - 2
Second shell - 8
Third shell - 8
What is electronegativity? → A substance that cannot be broken down to other substances by chemical reactions.
What is the atomic mass? → The number of protons in an atom.